05 f250 79k auto 4x4 should i buy????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 f250 79k auto 4x4 should i buy?????

im looking at a 05 f250 superduty quad caab 4x4 automatic. with 79,000 miles. the truck is clean and well cared for im just worried about the 6.0 are all the problems worked out of these yet. its still under warranty but is there anything i should be aware of...thanks for the info im a cummins owner so i know the in and outs of the dodge but looking to get a ford so any insight would be great and hope the bashing is to a minimum...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to landofconfusion
Every engine has their share of problems, and it depends on how you care for them. Stay with routine maintence and get it checckd out good before you buy. IF you decide to chip the sucker, do either hypertech or SCT there are several post on both of those trains of thought, but their both good. Just take care of them and they will be fine. We have not had any trouble out of my familes 2 6.0's.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 6.0's had there problems worked out by the 05 models. Maybe a dirty egr valve once in a while, otherwise buy with confidence. Mines been an awesome truck for me. Not 1 problem. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 PM

what kind of miles are we looking at getting out of them my shop f350 dualy has 227,000 miles and still runs great but its a 7.3 so the only thing is i know the cummins motor in and out and i dont know much about fords at all so a little worried
Old 12-08-2007, 06:01 PM

The 7.3's are tried and trusted as bulletproof. Its a little too early too call on the 6.0's being you don't see many with high mileage because of how recently they came out. That being said, it seems everyone on heres really happy with the 6.0's besides the egr problems and of course the early 03/04 problems. Just curious, why you changin trucks? Everyone here seems to have a lot of respect for the Cummins as opposed to the D-max.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 AM

FWIW - I know five people besides myself that own a 6.0 PS. None have had the head gasket problems you might hear about the 6.0. Some of these guys run a programmer, so it's not like they're babying the truck. My 06 just turned 73k miles, no problems. Oasis showed it had EGR and one injector replaced at 50k miles.

Some years ago, I had a Dodge with Cummins. Loved the engine, didn't like everything else. Tranny had trouble, and the interior was coming apart, one piece at a time. I will say this 06 F350 I got is a lot better built.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to landofconfusion
What early 03, 04 problem you talkin about? I have an 03 6.0 f250, and i got it at 67K, and it now has 78, and so far the only thing i hvae trouble with is cold starting (no chip or programmer), but other than that its good.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

looks like somebody beside's me is wondering about buying a newer truck too. good luck to you buddy.

later,

Sgt Bishop
Old 12-09-2007, 01:05 PM

im wanting to get rid of it cause like was said my interior is rattling and coming apart its lifted with stacks and i just want something stock were i dont have to pay $400 a tire every 15,000 miles. i want something quiet and auto matic and for the cummins it has takin everything ive givin it and begged for more it actualy runs better pulling 14,500 pound car hauler i know the motor and my truck in and out. now the truck im looking at is nice but i dont know anything about the motor i couldnt even tell you were the egr vavle is let alone how to delet it. im scared of the head gasket thing and injector probs and the fact that it leaves people on the side of the road. i can afford the truck but i cant afford to have dealership bills of $1500-$3000 every year either. the only known problem with my cummins is the injector pump wich with my comp box and smarty is has 127k on the origanal and shows no sighns of giving up. if i blew a head gasket in this 6.o i will have to lift the body off that is crazy when i studded my head in my truck it took me less than an hour to have the head off on the floor...so im just scared but i love the truck i guess i might look into a exended warranty if i buy. also miles i know i could get 500k out my cummins or at least close to that i doubt the 6.0 will go that distance what else can go wrong with these motors since they are really ****tty to work on im not knocking them i just dont want to make the wrong decision since my truck will be payed off in 24 more payments and ill start all over with the ford and once i do it and i get a lemon im screwed...also what is this oasis thing? and how do i get a report that would be a goos place to start...also heard that people dont get rid of them till they have problems with them

here is the truck by the way

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by csixer; 12-09-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:24 PM

The horror stories are exactly that--stories. They're way overblown. I was just as worried as you when I got mine. I almost didn't buy a 6.0 for those very reasons.

The head gasket issue is a possibility if you run your truck hard with hot tunes, but there are many people here that run hot tunes every day and have 10s of thousands of miles on their rigs and have never had head gasket issues. With an 05, you're not likely to have injector problems. Those are mostly relegated to the 03-04 trucks, and most of those have been fixed by now anyway.

The main issues I've had with mine have nothing to do with the motor. I've mainly had issues with all the electronic gizmos the Lariat has, and I had a fuel leak. I've since fixed everything, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.