Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Buying a 6.0 vs 7.3

3K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  Blainesdad 
#1 ·
Guys if this is in the wrong section please move...thank you

I'm not looking for a pissing contests or trying to start one, just curious...

Looking for a 2005-2007 6.0 Supercab Lariat 4X4 Long bed as a daily driver and to pull a 8K fully loaded travel trailer and a 7k fully loaded gooseneck horse trailer. Found a decent F350 with the options I want 5 hours a away for $20k with 90K miles on it. I will be purchasing a 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty. Have done this most of my used car purchases and has saved me more over the long run plus the peace of mind.

In my process of looking I found a 2002 F250 Supercrew Lariat 4X4 7.3 SB with only 85k miles! on it for $21k. It is an hour away and looks to be fantastic shape. Called Ford and the warranty is still available at ~ the same price. Bumper to bumper, $50 deductable.

I have heard good things about the 7.3, but much louder, etc. Will be keeping both stock due to the warranty. What does the group think? Even though the 7.3 is Crew Cab SB and 4 years older (looks great though, both do) is the 7.3 with that few miles too good to pass on?

I believe the 6.0 STOCK from my research and a warranty to back me up, will be just as dependable and fun to drive, but wanted to put the question to individuals with more experience. Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you will be fully and only depending on that warrenty you would be better off with a 7.3!

6ohs need owners that take care of the issues like getting a monitor to see the health of the oil cooler, FICM voltage, Fuel Pressure, and the EGR coolers should really either be deleted or have a Bullet Proof Diesel EGR cooler installed. They are GREAT trucks though!

Most dealers will either deny doing warrenty work on 6ohs (because they will find any excuse) OR they will do the work but most dealers do not know the 60 p;atform and do the work WRONG, that is why I would never get the "warrenty" but saved that money to get it done correctly.

That is my 2cents!

#3 ·
I would definately run with a 7.3. I am basing this purely on my experience with both trucks. I have owned a 7.3 and currently own a 6.0. My 7.3 was ran out of oil numerous times due to my lack of will power to replace the rear main seal. My 7.3 was beaten and thrashed, but it kept chugging along.

My 6.0 on the other hand (since I am more mature) has been babied. I do not like over tuning it, I do not like going over 55MPH and I do not like breaking stuff, so I try to keep it healthy, but there will be problems if you don't monitor it.

Basically, if you want good hp and good torque and not a lot of headache, go with a 7.3

If you want more hp and torque and the power, but with a little bit of headaches here and there, then get a 6.0.

And again, just my 2 cents. I am sure other people's 2 cents may differ from mine.

#4 ·
I agree with Eli. If you are truly going to keep the truck stock, as you said, then go with the 7.3. The 6.0 needs to have certain work done on it to keep it reliable. That said, I doubt you will need the warranty with the 7.3! :thumb:

Post pics of what you get!

#6 ·
The 6.0 trucks are nice looks-wise and interior etc, but I sure do miss my 7.3. Only ever had minor issues with it. But the tranny is much much better in my 6.0.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
Get the 6.0, get a monitor and never look back :thumb:

#8 ·
#11 ·
My dad loves to neglect his vehicles...he has an OBS F350 dump body...it was an 88 I think so it had the non turbo 7.3 with like 165HP, lol. Anyway, he didn't touch it for probably a year...charged the batteries and the thing started after about 6-7 seconds of cranking (after i hit the starter with a brick about 10 times)and runs like a top. 7.3s really were something special.

That said, I certainly do love my 6.0.

#12 ·
There are also other differences other than motor to think about.
Big Pluses for a 2005+
Built in trailer brakes alot better than aftermarket, 5sp stronger tranny with tow haul mode, coil front suspension rides and turns better, higher GVW/tow ratings due in part to stronger frame....

Smaller pluses:
Back up sensor, mirror blinkers/heater, dash switches, boost guage, tranny temp guage, better looking grill etc, some of these may depend on the package.

This are all pretty nice pluses for towing....

Makes me wish they just upgraded the 7.3 and skipped the 6.0.....

#14 ·
I was going to reference some of these same points. The 7.3 Engine is insanely reliable. They are not insanely strong or fast, but only minor fixes to them typically. The 6.0's are good motors but just like the 6.4's need the emissions crap cut out of them to be as reliable. The reason that Ford had to go away from the 7.3 is because of EPA guidelines and such. Sad day I know.
I have owned 4 different 7.3's and have gotten good service out of all of them. But the ride quality of the 2006 vs the 2002 is quite different. The 2002 has the leafspring front ends that make turning radius crap and ride quality is not that great. The coil spring frontends in the 2006 feels like a cadillac compared to the old leafs in my opinion.
Also you get updated styling touches with the 2006, as well as options on the interior like heated seats, sunroof, etc.
Guess it just depends on what you are looking to do with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.