Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How is turbo sound affected by muffler and cat?

2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  elchaseo 
#1 ·
My truck has a Banks 4" single exhaust, with the cat and muffler. I'd like to be able to hear the turbo more but I don't really want a loud exhaust note.

#3 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on the MBRP cat delete pipe...pretty easy to install?

#6 ·
Here is the question, is the Banks a turbo back system or is it 4" from the cat back?

Because the Banks kit tapers to the factory pipe size to accommodate the cat.

I'm not sure if another manufacturer's delete kit will work with the Banks kit.

I would try to find out from MBRP if it will work first.

I have a Banks kit and just bought a piece of 4" exhaust pipe, removed the cat, and had the 4" piece welded in.

Good Luck!

#4 ·
I just install teh pure diesel power cat delete pipe. Easy to install. I love teh sound. I already had deleted teh muffler before. Its not realy loud unless u get on it and even then it sounds good.

#7 ·
just run straight pipe. im running 4in from where the cat was removed all the way to the rear. sounds awesome wide open and isnt loud at all on the highway or cruising.

#10 ·
F*ck, just read the instructions for the kit, you do cut the flange off the cat. Exhaust shop said they won't touch it. What to do what to do?

#11 ·
Go to different shop, im sure someone wants ur munny

#12 ·
Just called Banks, they don't offer a delete pipe...grrr. The way its designed though, I think I simply just need to get my tape measure out and go get a certain length of 3.5" pipe.

#13 ·
You are probably right...

#14 ·
The part of the cat that has the flange on it is cut off 7" from the flange, 4" from the cat. Looks like it should just be a straight piece. Hey, I may come out cheaper than I thought!

#15 ·
Heck yeah, got up under it, I just need a straight piece. Called my place, they told me $18.66 with tax for a 21" piece. Gonna go pick it up tomorrow!

#16 ·
Cool! You gonna clamp it or weld it?

#17 ·
Just use the clamps that are already there.

#18 ·
I just did this a couple weeks back. I have the banks monster turbo back that uses the factory cat. Couldn't find alot of info online. Got under her looked at it and saw the 4" down pipe to 3.5" cat back to 4" banks. Had some creative juices and got some ideas. So I went to my local exhaust shop and picked up 20 inches of 3.5 inch pipe and used the clamps that it came with. Worked like a champ.

Ask the guy if he's got any scrap 3.5". Picked mine up for 5 bucks worth a shot lol. Overall I think you will like it. The turbo is a bit louder but overall not any louder than it was.

#19 ·
Yeah that is what I'm gonna do, he said he didn't have any scrap and he'd have to cut a piece. I think I may do 20.5 inches instead of 21.

#20 ·
I ended up with a piece of ford pipe that had a bracket cut off so it gave me a place to whack it with my BMFH. It may give you some grief but brute force and awkwardness always prevail. :p

I did use some pb blaster to help expedite the process. Also you may want to make some marks on the pipe so you know where the ends are inside the other pipe.

#21 ·
You get yourself the 5" tb straight system from Diamond Eye and some lip balm cause once you hear that truck you gonna be smiling ear to ear!

#22 ·
Well guys I went to my exhaust guy to pick up the pipe, and of course his tune changed about removing the car when I got there. He's in the process of cutting out the entire 3.5" restricted area and is going to weld in a 4" piece. All for $85...yippee ha

#23 ·
Nice! :thumb:

Money talks! LOL

#24 ·
Alright its all done, the turbo whistle is more pronounced for sure, not a whole lot though. EGT's idling when fully warmed up are about 15-20* cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.