Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Want to buy 05-07 6.0 won't use for work at all

Tags
6.0 advice
1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Jeaux 
#1 ·
I'm 17 years old and my dad wants me to have a truck. I don't like cars anyway. I want to get a 05-07 6.0 , love the body style. It won't be used for work at all,not towing anything . Only from my house to school and to friends on weekends. Wondering what I should look for when I buy it.high miles low miles and options would be nice (p.s my uncle is a supervisor macanahic for ford so he will go with me when I go to look at one from bumper to bumper)

#2 ·
The stickies will tell you all about what you need to look for before buying.

#5 ·
Don't buy a powerstroke as a DD. Don't get me wrong I love my 6.0L but since I have stopped towing (cattle farm, sold cows) now I wish I had a smaller truck and gasser. Cheaper maintenance, cheaper fuel, smaller parking footprint, etc. I do love the 6.0l turbo whine and room of my crew cab.

#6 ·
I have a 6.0 as a daily driver. Love it! May tow the occasional boat or camper but rarely. Yes the upkeep is more involved and expensive but if its something you want AND you can afford it you'll be more than happy.

#7 ·
If your lookin at a truck as a daily driver and not excpecting to work it the F 150 is a awesome truck that can actully work alot more than you think. Has a great ride and makes a great daily driver and I gotta figure alot cheaper than a 6.0.

#8 ·
You've got a lot of good advice here. A half ton would be a lot cheaper. The stickies are invaluable and every section has them, general discussion, problem forums and check out the tech section as well. Look at the issues guys have had as well as the general maintenance costs, you'll eventually have all of them and its not cheap. If you're really set on a 6.0 after all of that get your monitor before the truck and take it with you on the test drives.

Deiselshield said it and I'll say it again make sure you can afford this truck before you get into it and need to put $3000 into it to keep it running. There are plenty of threads on here of guys selling for less than they have into their trucks because they're getting nickel and dimed to death. With a diesel those nickels and dimes are $100's and $1000's. :eek:hnoes: (if you turn your own wrenches it'll be a little cheaper but it's still a small fortune to run these trucks)

If you do your research on here and you're honest with yourself about being able to afford a 6.0 and still go for one you'll love and hate it just like the rest of the .org family... :) Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
I just picked up a near 100% bulletproofed 2006 with 56k miles for under 25, truck is in immaculate shape.

I looked at quite a few trucks, find one with a clean history and the right work done to it so it's a reliable ride, then go from there. What seems like the perfect truck may turn into a nightmare if you have to turn around and dump 4-6k in it right away.

#11 ·
I recently bought a 2007 F-250 6.0 2wd for daily driver. It only had 62,000 miles on it. Very clean truck and in good condition. Be careful with 6.0's. They have had a bad rap, mostly due to failed EGR coolers and head gaskets. Look to see if there has been any work on these items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.