Oil Change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Change

Pardon the igornace...New to the diesel thing.

I've read the oil will last 7000-10000 mi....but should one change the filter before all the oil is changed?

I have some horribly filthy oil right now and I feel the new filter is going to clog up lickety split....

can I change the oil filter without having oil pour of of the filter housing?

Havent tried or looked or done the first oil change since I purchased the truck....so, thanks for the help!

03 6.0L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 PM

I change my oil at 5K miles and not a mile over. Just my personal preference and habbit, I care about my truck too much to let it run with used and abused and OLD motor oil. Personally, I would never go over 5K with conventional motor oil. I use Shell Rotella 15W-40 all year round.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:15 PM

The oil filter is on top of the motor so no chance oil will pour out. I change mine between 4 and 5 thousand miles.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM

i change mine every 3000-3500 jsut for the fact that oil/filter is alot chaper than a dam motor and runnin stacked chips the oil gets pretty dirty and some long idles in the morn also yes ur oil might be good till 5k but is it really worth that extra 2k for the damage ur motor is gettin because of broke down oils BTW i run rotella also
Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00strker View Post
i change mine every 3000-3500 jsut for the fact that oil/filter is alot chaper than a dam motor and runnin stacked chips the oil gets pretty dirty and some long idles in the morn also yes ur oil might be good till 5k but is it really worth that extra 2k for the damage ur motor is gettin because of broke down oils BTW i run rotella also
Oil is fine for 5K miles, the original poster was asking about oil changes with 7-10K mile intervals. 7-10K is way too long, 5K miles is more acceptable.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sciulli
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDfan99 View Post
Oil is fine for 5K miles, the original poster was asking about oil changes with 7-10K mile intervals. 7-10K is way too long, 5K miles is more acceptable.
7K is fine if your running a synthetic oil. THere are loads of people on here that run there oil for long past that 15-25K/1year drain intervals on all stock equiptment. THey might have a special oil filter but nothing in the sorts of bypass. I've run mine for 10K got a UOA and thye said change it cause I was running B100(some blow-by).
Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 PM

do what u want but if ur pushing 150-200 more hp throught that motor than what its designed for and working it hard obvisly u will break the oil down faster im just sayin i change mine a 3k - 3.5k cuz i do some idleing and the chips 7k is pushing it wth ur basic oil for sure
Old 12-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oil changes

the manual for the motor recommends 7500 mile oil and filter change.with conventional oil not synthetic.i change mine at 7500 miles. i bought the truck with 32,000 miles. 67,000 miles on it now. i run the superchips flashpaq now and then but that only adds 100hp on the top setting.seems to be a matter of preference.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:52 PM

3k-5k. My preference.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:46 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Due to the oil shearing nature of the 6.0L engine 5K on conventional or synthetic is pushing the envelope. The 6.0 will shear a 40wt oil to a 30wt oil very quickly. Synthetics a little more due to the base stock. If you're going to do extended OCI's then have an oil analysis run, but for an extra few dollars you can change the oil completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.