Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Build Plans, I Need Your Input!

655 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  ChrisAU 
#1 ·
Well after a couple weeks of browsing here I am starting to get an understanding of what is needed to make these trucks more reliable and FUN! I've spoken with a few local diesel shops, and I hope to slowly accumulate parts until this summer when I have it all done at one time (if my oil cooler/injectors let me wait that long :tard: ).

Plans so far:

ARP Studs
OEM Headgaskets
OEM Oil Cooler
EGR Delete (Probably an RCD)
Updated HPOP Fitting
Garrett Powermax Turbo
Warren 155 Injectors
PHP Atlas 80 FICM Tune
CAT ELC
BPD Radiator
Oil Cooler Screen
OEM Intake Gaskets

Keep in mind I already have a Sinister coolant filter, blue spring kit, Banks exhaust, Banks intake, Banks intercooler, and Banks IQ for monitoring everything. I plan on getting an SCT X3 and an economy and I WANNA GO FAST tunes for it. I'm also already in line for a PHP FICM tuner. I rarely tow, and if I do its nothing too big. Oh, also already running Rotella T6.

What needs to be added to the list?

Whats a conservative HP/Tq number for that setup with the I WANNA GO FAST tune? Who should I get my tunes from?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I would replace your IPR screen, stand pipes, dummy plugs, turbo feed and turbo drain lines. You will need a turbo hardware kit as well. I also had them throw on some exhaust gaskets that you dont have listed.

I would personally would ditch the gryphon - it is a cool product and nothing against bill he is a great guy but I personally see no need to switch FICM tunes. Pay bill to load an atlas 40 and let the tuner do the rest, you will get all of the benefits of his FICM tune upgrades (better starting, increased fuel economy, better response to custom tuning, etc...)

I would also ditch the powermax - there is better options out there with the MTW stuff IMO at a better price point.

And unless you tow alot of weight or tow often I would up the injector size quite a bit, again just my opinion.

Also in my case and you should consider if you have emissions testing but if my BPD upgraded EGR cooler fails for some reason I am going to get a stocker and weld it shut, that way it will pass visual - the FEDS and cops seem to really be cracking down on diesels and I live in cali so I am just screwed from the get go. Another option for you though especially if you have inspections and saves you the $$ on a delete kit.

Have fun!!

Todd

**EDIT** How could I also forget - Dont waste your time doing the job unless you have a CAPABLE machine shop magnaflux your heads, check for flatness and deck them if necessary - the straight edge technique that ford dealers do is quite honestly the biggest waste of time going, it will also probably ensure you get to have all the work done again. REMEMBER if the heads need more than .008" machined off they are trash. I had .003/.004 machined off my heads, they had no cracks anywhere. Just another side note of something I did when I had my work done, it was worth the 175 I spent for the piece of mind.

#3 ·
Thanks! I planned on having the heads checked out. And I didn't buy a FICM tuner, I'm in line to be loaned one and return it from PHP. Could you link some better turbo options?

#5 ·
Oh ok that sounds good - visit Welcome to Mad Turbo Werks!! - there is a plethora of info on here about Adrian the madman - also if the site doesnt work dont complain to me, I just designed it :dunno: LOL!!

Oh and for tunes - you will probably have to try a few different tuners and let the truck tell you which one it likes best.

Good luck!

Todd

#4 ·
Oh and the dummy plugs and stand pipes are part of what the shop does too.

#6 ·
I found MTW, thanks for that! I also found Dozer's Diesel through the MTW site, seems to be much better pricing on injectors too!

#7 ·
There is NO link on MTW for dozers where did u see that? Dozer is a crook!! Don't do business with him!! Search the army site for dozers and set aside some spare time.

And for what it's worth dozer was reselling warren injectors

Todd

#8 ·
He says he used them in his build.

So maybe 190/75's and a MTW stage 2?

#9 · (Edited)
Eh I'm getting too far out there...how about MTW Stage 1 and some Warren 155/30's?

#10 ·
Or would I be fine with 155/stocks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.