Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Looking at a few used 6.0's... what to look for/avoid??

Tags
6.0 problems
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jmeaby 
#1 ·
This is my first post, and I hope I'm not out of line asking a question right off the bat.

I owned an '01 7.3 for years, and every day when I wake up, I kick myself for selling it.

I'm looking to purchase a used PS, but I'm not up-to-speed on the status of the 6.0. I heard a lot of chatter when they came out years ago, I've seen pictures with the entire cab lifted off to work on something (not sure what that would be about??), and I am little worried that I might buy a money trap.

What, if anything, should I be looking for in a 6.0, and what was the problem that was fixed? What year was it no longer an issue, and if I buy an original 6 liter, what should I avoid?

I'm hoping I am in the right place. I've poured over threads, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Sorry to duplicate if I am doing so.

Thanks, and stay safe.

#4 ·
my recommendation is to make sure you pull the egr valve and see if its wet in there. the biggest thing with the 6.0 is what you do once its in your hands. first thing you should do it delete the egr and rebuild the oil cooler. also put a coolant filter on the truck. if you do it yourself all that is less then a grand and a weekend of wrenching. this job alone does a lot to improve the truck as far as not breaking down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.