brutal honesty..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
brutal honesty.....

Hello all! Been lurking around the board for a couple of weeks picking up tidbits here and there. I'm about to purchase used diesel truck and I've really just got one question. If I were to buy a 250 w/ 6.0, am I really in for all the horror stories that you hear about (mainly gaskets and turbos)? Two of my brothers have CC, FX4, Lariats. One '02 (I think, maybe '03) 7.3 and one '04 6.0. The 04 has had no problems whatsoever, but all he pretty much does with it is drive around. He really only bought it because he could afford it (ego type). I've also got a friend with a 6.0 who's thinking about selling and I could get a good deal on it. I've really been looking for a Cummins or Dmax, but there are no Cummins to be had here (everyone keeps them) and, of course, everytime I find a Dmax, they want too damn much for it. If I could put my worries to rest, I would look hard at the Ford. I think they are beautiful trucks and have always wanted one- until the 6.0. Mainly going to pull my lawn service equipment/supplies (5000 lbs.- 10000 lbs) and drive it back and forth to work. To be added are intake, exhaust, and programming mainly for mileage, but also want a few smiles here and there, too. Any suggestions? And remember, we're all friends here so let's be honest. Great board!! Keep up the good work!!!

Bubba

P.S.- Sorry about the book.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 03/04 6.0s seem to be hit or miss. I have had no problems with my 04 and love it. How may miles are on the one you are considering - seems like the bad ones present their issues early on?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

Bubba!! The 7.3's from 97 -02 are very good work horses and dependable and reliable. The 03-04 6.0's are the trouble years since this is when the 6.0 first came out. A lot of the bugs got worked out in the 05-07's.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
It just depeneds on how many miles are on the truck -- I think it'd be reasonable to say that if the truck has 80K and has had no problems, that it is likely a great truck!

Usually, the trucks that have problems have them from the beginning... an easy way to tell is by getting the Oasis report for the truck and see what all work has been done on the truck
Old 12-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 12-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sparkywilson
like said before 03-04 is hit and miss. Mine has 42k miles on it and has never give me a lick of trouble. All it was ever in the dealership was the flashing of the computer and other things.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i have an 04 and have had a few problems but nothing too major. i know of a few other 04 6.0's that have no problems at all. its hit and miss with the 03 to 04 model year.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM

Why chance it. Find a 7.3 that grampa pulled his camper with once a year....if you look hard you can still find an 02 or 03 7.3 with low miles.

If you buy a 6.0 it might suck and it might not. Like my dad always said a Might grows on a chicken's a$$!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
I have had an 04 and now my 05, The 04 had no troubles untill i added the sct and was a tad to hard on the tranny. Now the 05 has 171K on it and only had the egr replaced and the alternator. great rig. I would go for the 05 and up but the 03 and 04s are just as good. just make sure it has over 50K on it.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I believe my buddy's truck is an '05. I'm not sure about the mileage. Someone I work with has an '01 CC, 4x4, Lariat with less than 100k (I think somewhere around 85,000) and the outside is clean, but the inside is immaculate. Problem is, he said he wants $21,000 for it. And while I've considered it on a few occasions, I'm not giving that much for an '01. Heck, he didn't give that much for it. He bought it not quite 2 years ago from another coworker's grandfather. He told me he just can't afford the note and fuel. He told someone else that he just is using it (camper for sale also) like he thought he would due to work and he wanted to make a little money on it. Sorry, if he wants out, he's not gonna profit off of me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.