Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Zerex G-05

11K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jack Lester 
#1 ·
I messed up and put zerex G-05 in my truck I've drove it bout 1000 miles. I know now it's the same as ford gold. My question is how long does or take to plug up my new oil cooler that I had installed when I did my delete. The delete was done bout 1500 miles ago I decided to change my coolant because the shop just put regular coolant in it. Did I start the plugging up process with these mistakes? I will be changing to a elc.

#2 ·
1000 miles, no problem. I assume you did a complete flush prior to the new oil cooler? If so, just flush it real good and put the ELC in it. (If you didn't flush it before the oil cooler install, you're probably better off not to flush it now.....you'll just end up plugging the new oil cooler.)

It takes a lot longer than 1000 miles for the silicates to drop out. I would drain the radiator, remove lower hose to completely drain it, and remove both block plugs. (I put the Fumoto valves in mine.....well worth it! You will need to pull the starter to do the passenger side.) Then i would pull the heater hose off below the degas bottle, as well as pull it off next to the alternator mount. Blow air through, to get the coolant out of the heater core. Re-assemble everything, fill with distilled water, run a few minutes, and repeat. (Except for the heater hose part, I just do that once.) I would do this 3 times at a minimum. With the Fumoto valves, you can get real quick at this. I was able to get under the truck, turn the valves, remove lower hose in less than a minute......done draining, close valves, stick hose on snug and fill again.

I prefer the Rotella ELC, but the other brands are probably just as good.

#3 ·
What do you mean by 'the shop put regular coolant in it'??? If they followed the Ford routine, it's understandable if they put the Ford gold stuff in. If they put green antifreeze in.......I hope they didn't screw up the oil cooler install! (because that would be a sure sign they have no business working on the engine.)

#4 ·
G-05

The shop I took it to put green antifreeze in it after the delete and then again after my heads were done. I'm new to this so I read bout how silicates can plug up my oil cooler so I bought some peak anti-silicate coolant. I then stumbled onto some info bout elc coolant so I bought the g-05 because that's what the people at napa said it called for. Then I found out the g-05 is the same as ford gold I've heard bad things bout it. I want to make it right by putting a elc coolant in but I'm afraid I've plugged up my new oil cooler with the flushes that I've done. I'm thinking bout just selling the truck before it bankrupts me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.