Locking Hubs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Locking Hubs

I have manual locking hubs on my truck. Does anyone know if it alright to leave the hubs locked (just when I think I might need to use 4x4) if you dont have the 4x4 engaged. I dont always need 4x4 but if I do (driving to work during snowy conditions), I dont really want to pull over, lock the hubs, then engage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 05:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I leave mine locked in most of the winter, but have always wondered if it was the right thing to do? I do unlock them though, if the roads are clear, and I am going to do alot of highway driveing.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You havent had any problems? I was just going to lock them when it was going to be bad out in case I needed them, clear days I would keep them unlocked
Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Serving Our Country!

i keeped mine loked all winter cause the conditions can change up here in the blink oe an eye i havent had any problems
Old 12-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You'll loose a little on MPG since you are turning the axles. There should be greese fittings on the front axle u-joints. Keep some greese in them and you should be fine. I lock mine in when it gets bad out. When the roads get clear I unlock them.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:32 AM

My 04 came with Auto and Manual option hubs. On bad days I look them in till the weather clears. But if a day is unpredictable I will not, because the 4x4 will lock (via vacume) them in when I turn the switch.
I have to say these have been the best hubs so far on all my trucks.
Bad thing, no greese fittings on the ujoints. So they will have a short life :-(
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
i got the auto/manual hubs as well.....I've yet to get out and lock the hubs by hand, so I have no idea what difference it makes, never had a truck with manual locking hubs before. I do know that so far whenever I've had to kick it into 4-hi the truck has done anything I've asked of it, and thats not even getting into 4-lo......maybe one day I'll need to lock em in.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

on my 99 it had the auto locking hubs. The worked for a while then quit. I had to lock them in manualy after a couple years. on my 04 I ordered it with manual locking hubs. That way I know when they are locked in. My 04 does have greese fittings on the u-joints. Which I was happy to see. Pulling the unit bearing to change u-joints is a pain in the but. I've had to pull both sides to change the crappy ball joints. I replaced them with greesable moog joints
Old 12-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to Bamfster
You will be fine leaving the hubs locked in if you think you'll need 4wd...I even run my truck periodically for a few miles throughout the summer in 4 hi to get the gear oil moving in the trans case and front diff and I've never had any problems in all of my truck's 258k miles. I lock my hubs whenever i leave a paved road in the Rocky Mntns.

Last edited by Bamfster; 12-05-2007 at 09:38 AM. Reason: oops
Old 12-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

weather here changes quick so I will leave them locked when its bad and unpredictable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.