Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil change ?

868 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  njmudrat 
#1 ·
When you change your oil,does it matter if you take the oil filter out first than take the plug out? Or drain plug than filter. I usually unscrew filter than take drain plug out. Just wondering if it matters :dunno:

#2 ·
i believe you should take the filter off first so that the oil in the housing can drain back and that way you change that oil as well.

#3 ·
Yes it matters. Remove/loosen the oil filter before/during oil draining.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#4 ·
^ what he said..make sure u use only motorcraft filters

#6 ·
Learned this the hard way. Unscrew the oil plug then drain the oil filter with the oil plug still unscrewed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
What everyone said!

And a thumbs up on the Amsoil stuff. I recently added a bypass oil filter with the Amsoil 2 micron, and I am impressed. Oil stays clean, no black soot in it.

#8 ·
I have always changed my oil as you guys described. Unscrew oil filter housing than go under truck and take out drain plug. But if you take out drain plug than unscrew filter housing,wouldn't the oil from the housing still drain down and out? Again I'm just wondering why it's done in a certain order...

#9 ·
ya it would still drain down and out of you take the plug out then take the filter out or loosen it if you leave the drain plug out. im pretty sure every one is assuming when you take the plug out you wait till it stops draining then put it back in. so if you take it out wait till its done draining and put it back in, then go to the top and do the filter your going to have a quart or whatever the filter housing holds stuck in the pan and not drained out.

#10 ·
oooh! lol. Your right macdougall. Yes, what I was trying to say if you take out plug before you unscrew filter housing "leaving the drain plug out" it would still drain out. Thx guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.