Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bleeding CAC Boot

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Kyle K 
#1 ·
Although this a regular issue on these engines, nothing special about an oil soaked boot, I figured I caught this one right as it was about to fail. I did a lot of work a couple weeks ago on the engine, and inspected the boots. I noted they were a bit oil soaked and a crack on the outside that was starting. (Inside looked good.) Ordered a new set of BD Diesel boots, and here we are 2 to 3 weeks later to install......and the boot is absolutely bleeding oil! Took 18 days to go from slight crack appearing, to this:

Ah...look at the trace of oil in the cooler down below. See how clean it is? That's due to the bypass filter kit I installed with the Amsoil filter!

New boots:

See less See more
#3 ·
Those were the factory Ford boots from 2006, 173,800+ miles on them. I wasn't thinking when i ordered the set.....I only have the 2 boots. The other side is the factory plastic pipe that is a b*tch to get on and off. Either I'll have to find an aftermarket pipe that uses boots. or sell the extra 2 boots and 4 clamps they sent.

#8 ·
use a hair dryer, heat gun, or hold the plastic pipe in front of a space heater while you turn it...slips right on every time

#4 ·
Why do you think your oil bypass filter put oil in the cac?

Edit: why do you think the oil bypass kit KEEPS OIL OUT of your cac?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#5 ·
I think perhaps two issues are being mistakenly combined: The OPs said he thinks his bypass oil filter is the reason why the residual oil in the CAC looks clean (not black). I dont think he's saying the bypass filter is the source of the oil.

#7 ·
No problem, ....I just read the responses :)

Back when I tore into the engine a few weeks ago, for the work listed in my sig line, I had some normal pitch black oil in there. A normal result from the PCV system. Here we are a few weeks later, having run the oil bypass filter, and the same amount of oil in there, but clean oil. I'm really impressed with that Amsoil filter. Only now that I am changing boots, did I discover that even the crankcase vented oil appears clean. The old boot by the turbo was so saturated, i squeezed it like a sponge and black oil from weeks ago dripped out.....

#9 ·
I'll remember that.......wish i would have thought about it a few weeks ago! Is the factory arrangement with that plastic pipe pretty good, or is there an advantage to going with an aftermarket pipe and using 2 boots?

#10 ·
The plastic pipes are prone to cracking. You can replace it with an early model aluminum pipe.

#11 ·
southend, where in the gulf coast are you?

#12 ·
A mile from the beach, right here in ms.

#13 ·
Cool...just ordered the '03 intercooler pipe from Sunrise Ford, one of the powerstroke.org sponsors. Put DIESEl in the promo code as directed in their posting, and sure enough there's $10 off! Free shipping as well. Came to $97.44, a deal I figure. Now I have something to use my other 2 BD Diesel boots and clamps on!

#14 ·
When the time comes to install it.....I'll have to sneak my wifes blow dryer to the garage :woot:

If it still puts up a fight getting that damn plastic pipe off like before, I'm breaking out the Dremel tool....:rofl:

#15 ·
just make sure you thoroughly clean all cac hose connections with brake clean. you don't want them blowing off on you, otherwise you might shart yourself.:haha:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.