Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Radiator questions.

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  ldhost1 
#1 ·
Had my heads done and now my radiator is leaking out of the plastic ends. Looks pretty straight forward to do my self except I'm a little confused on the transmission lines. Is the quick connect the white looking clip on the line or is the quick connect inside the threaded nut part. I'm asking bc my white clips are not there lol and it looks like she might have a small drip from the nut. Wondering if I need the disconnect tool to do this. I have searched and not really found a straight forward answer. Also Are those clips usually reinstalled after the radiator is put back in? Im sure I'll have a facepalm moment when I tear into it but trying to get some info before I do to avoid messing something up.

Also any suggestions on radiators? I dont do alot of heavy pulling so the OEM seems fine but just seeing if anyone had some input on the generic ones like from Napa. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
^^^^Thats what Ive got works pretty good. Heck if the fan dosnt come on soon Im gonna crawl under there and make sure its hooked up cause I havent heard it since last august I beleive it was.....anyways I havent heard the fan come on yet...

#7 ·
I did the whole BPD upgrade myself. Everything comes with AWESOME installation instructions. Hate to sound like a BPD commercial but once you give these guys a try you will go back again and again. There shipping is amazing ( I think they start packing stuff up before you get off the phone) and they have yet to turn me away when I ask stupid questions...

#5 ·
you can check on Ebay they also sell aluminum rads..i recommend the BPD one

#10 ·
Lemme go home ill crawl under my truck n check it out

#12 ·
The white clips are just retainer clips for a lack of a better word. I just took mine out the other day. Those white clips just pop off no tools needed. Then you need a disconnect tool.

I purchased this set. Lisle 39960 Transmission Oil Cooler Line Disconnect : Amazon.com : Automotive

Depending where you are located, I actually called Advanced autoparts and they could order this tool set for about a dollar more than amazon has it listed for, and I had it in two days without paying for shipping.

They worked for me, but it was still a little tough. You just need to make sure when you insert the tool, you actually push the transmission line in at the same time. You'll then here the clip inside click and I had to wiggle the trans lines while pulling out. Make sure you have a bucket or something on your floor. Only a little trans fluid comes out, but it's enough to make a mess. I then just had some hose laying around that fit perfectly into the trans line and kinked the end to keep it from dripping out.

You don't loose much fluid, but make sure to check it and top it off when your work is complete.

#13 ·
The white clips are just retainer clips for a lack of a better word. I just took mine out the other day. Those white clips just pop off no tools needed. Then you need a disconnect tool.

I purchased this set. Lisle 39960 Transmission Oil Cooler Line Disconnect : Amazon.com : Automotive

Depending where you are located, I actually called Advanced autoparts and they could order this tool set for about a dollar more than amazon has it listed for, and I had it in two days without paying for shipping.

They worked for me, but it was still a little tough. You just need to make sure when you insert the tool, you actually push the transmission line in at the same time. You'll then here the clip inside click and I had to wiggle the trans lines while pulling out. Make sure you have a bucket or something on your floor. Only a little trans fluid comes out, but it's enough to make a mess. I then just had some hose laying around that fit perfectly into the trans line and kinked the end to keep it from dripping out.

You don't loose much fluid, but make sure to check it and top it off when your work is complete.
Awesome, that cleared a lot up! Thanks a lot, I figured someone would set me straight. Looks like I'll be ripping her out relatively soon.

#14 ·
Thanks everyone that replied. I ordered everything today so hopefully it will be here for the weekend. I also did what was stated earlier with the transmission line tool and called my local advance auto to have them ship it to their store. Ended up around 9 bucks and will be here in 4 days. Not too shabby IMO.

#15 ·
I purchased an all alum Silla for $225 plus shipping --- it's been in the truck for approx one month and doing just fine.

Exceptional welds, solid product.

#16 ·
sorry I saw this thread so late

Assenmacher 8023 is by far the best tool made for disconnecting the 1/2" tranny cooler lines from the radiator. I don't even waste my time with the plastic tools anymore, most of the times our fittings are rusted to hell with a ****load of dirt and debris lodged up in there.

#17 ·
Now that I have everything to pull the radiator anybody have any suggestions on flushing? Should I flush first then install the new one or install the new one then flush? Oil cooler replaced less than a year ago temps within 5-8 degrees at highway speeds around 65-70

#18 ·
What kind of coolant do u have in there now?

#20 ·
I opened the new radiator today to look at the connections for the transmission lines and it totally makes sense now. :rofl: Thanks for all the info everyone that chimed in. I’ll be throwing that sucker in probably this weekend. I’ll snap a few pictures of the install to maybe help someone else in the future.

I should also mention that I just went with the autozone radiator…. Had some gift cards lying around so out of my pocket the cost wasn’t much although the BPD one sure looks purdy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.