Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

For those who paid, how much to have head studs done?

6K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  mike12 
#1 ·
I've been doing some checking within the state of California at Diesel repair shops. I've been getting prices for Head Studs, EGR Cooler (Bullet Proof), and Oil cooler in the range of $5500-$6800.

So for guys who had to pay regardless of where you live in the country. Not warranty covered work. Not guys who did it themselves. Folks who had to pay a shop out of their pocket for the same work.

How much did you pay?

The reason I ask, is depending on the proximity of the state, it may be less expensive to drive it there for the work.

#2 ·
even though it can cost a fortune for you to drive to missouri i can get it done for 3000-3500 and done right with way more work done than your asking for. the amount of work done goes above an beyond expected. and i can have it done in 12 hours.

#12 ·
What part of Missouri are you in? I may be interested in the near future.....

#3 ·
I paid $3550 for everything(all updates, new oil cooler, and new water pump, and belt since it was that far already.) I traded a 350 short block for the machine work, valve stem seals, hardened seats, and port and polish(value around $500 for the block)

#4 ·
$5,200 for a cab on stud job. Heads machined. I think I had them do my AD2 and sump at the same time so there might be a little tacked on for that.

#8 ·
I also paid $2k once for a cab off stud job. No egr parts or cooler and non cyl head machining. One day job my gaskets weren't blown.

#9 ·
I paid 3800 bucks for an egr delete, 4inch straight pipe, heads machined, ford oem gaskets, arp studs, oil cooler replacement, and ficm repair. Oh and that was cab off with 1year warranty on all parts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
I am in AZ, paid a lead ford tech $4K, studs, gaskets, BP EGR, new Oil cooler, the latest updates for a 6.0 (no flashes), new turbo drains, 6.4 banjo's, cat elc, new fan belt, etc. Took a week working after hours. yes cab was pulled. guaranteed work 1 year!

#11 ·
Where in cali are you? There are a lot of places in washington and northern oregon that will do head studs with an oil cooler and egr for under 4k.

Theres one specific place I know of that will do all that plus a tuner and 155cc injectors for around 5500.

#13 ·
I'm located in Santa Cruz, Ca. An hour south of San Francisco on the coast. I'm open to WA for sure. In some instances when asking more specific questions about exactly what some of these shops do to verify the heads - I don't get the impression they're that concerned about the heads being cracked. A reputable and respected shop told me that they don't see many cracked heads. That seems kinda contrary to what I've read here and on other forums.

For $5500 I want to feel very, very, very confident that the work is being done correctly and with a warranty.

#15 ·
A reputable shop who really knows what they're doing as it relates to the heads is critical to longevity. Cracks, flatness, valve guides, seats, lifters, etc. are my concerns.

I couple instances talking with shops over the phone I almost got the impression I knew more than they did. These were reputable shops mind you with good reputations. I'm sorry but for roughly $6000 I need some reassurance from these guys.

Their attitude is like "...6.0, uh yeah, $6200 bucks have an opening next week...warranty? Well we'll warranty it for 30 days and 1000 miles, cracked heads? we don't see that usually..."

Like I don't have better things to do with $6000! And at 144k miles, $6000 is a lot to put in without some assurances.

If there's one thing I've read on this forum and other diesel forums is that doing the full bulletproof does NOT guarantee anything.

#35 ·
You can try Browns Diesel in Riverdale just south of Fresno. Kind of out of the way but a good shop overall, even tho they installed my power steering pump too far in that caused some wheeping but got that taken care of. Only $85/hr labor rate and they do their best to be competitive on any parts you need. They are hella busy so try and talk directly to Erick Brown if you can. They have trucks coming out there *** constantly getting dropped off. It took them 7 weeks just to get to my truck. Not many good psd diesel shops in central california. I would avoid any diesel shop in the bay area, they're gonna be too expensive for my taste, thats why I had mine towed to central valley. He might not have the room or time but there is also matt moroni in sutter east of yuba, pacific diesel performance, he might not even work with the public and he's pretty far north. Im guessing you're out of warranty?

#17 ·
Hum I guess my local shop's price of $4500 for ARP steads, oem gaskets, oem oil cooler, EGR delete, with a SCT X3 and custom tuning wasn't too bad.

#19 ·
i got a quote from a shop by me that does some work to my truck when i dont have the space to do it my self and for studs, heads checked and flattened as long as no work is needed, oil cooler, egr, hpop, and all updated parts for my 03 they quoted me 3500.

#23 ·
Anyone needs 'em done in Ontario, Canada, or is willing to travel, PM me.

#25 ·
anyone got good shops in NJ?

#26 ·
The quotes that i recently got were around $3000 here in nc.

#27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy
even though it can cost a fortune for you to drive to missouri i can get it done for 3000-3500 and done right with way more work done than your asking for. the amount of work done goes above an beyond expected. and i can have it done in 12 hours.

Very interested I go to Milan Missouri about every 3 weeks

#28 ·
Do cylinder heads NEED to be resurfaced if they come off? I know they should be checked everytime. My shop was trying to tell me as a precaution, they should be resurfaced everytime regardless.

I'm concerned because mine have been resurfaced and I've been informed I don't have any material left if it needs to be done again. Valve clearance issues. How often to heads still fall within spec after having a blown gasket? Or if they come off before a stud/gasket failure happens are they usually ok? How much more does gasket failure contribute to warpage? Machining will reflect on the price like some have mentioned.

#29 ·
2 years ago, I paid about $4,500 at Truck Source Diesel in San Antonio and that was parts and labor. I actually paid a little more b/c they also got me an SCT with custom tunes and a couple other things that aren't part of the normal job.

#30 · (Edited)
what we can have done in 12 hours is
ARP head studs with OEM gaskets
Tig weld the EGR cooler shut but leave it in place for visual inspections
replace oil cooler with a new stock one
new oil and filter with 2 bottles of rev-x
new dummy plugs
new stand pipes
new stc fitting
6.4 banjo bolts
we replace all o-rings putting it back together.

we can also do anything else you request though it may take more time. All work done by a man who was a ford tech for 10+ years. 03-04 years are cheaper than 05-07

the work is warrantied although if your traveling 2000 miles that may not mean anything to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.