Best tune to run towing small trailer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best tune to run towing small trailer

I'm going to be making a 1000 mile trip next week towing a 12' Uhaul trailer. I'd say the most it will weigh is 5500-6000 pounds. I'll be towing through mountains about 200 miles of that trip.

I was reading in the other thread that Innovative doesn't increase the timing on the tow tunes, so I'm wondering if my tow tune from DJ does the same thing. As I understand it, tunes without the timing advanced generally won't get better mileage than stock. I'm looking for the best mileage towing without killing my truck. I'll have my Quad Commander installed tomorrow, so I will be able monitor EGT, trans temp, etc.

What do you guys think? I was thinking of towing on the eco tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 07:27 PM
one day at a time

I know some people might tell you to go ahead, but I'm against pulling a load with anything but my tow tune... Its not the worry of excessive EGT's that bothers me, just the increase in cylinder pressures that comes from advancing the timing in the hotter tunes (if that makes sense). The difference in fuel mileage on that long of a trip doesn't out weigh extra risk in my book. Just my $.02.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:47 PM

thats why it's called a tow tune, If you are worried about high egt's don't big foot it on the hills.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Cynic

12 foot and 5500+ pounds?

Wow. If you don't have gauges, use your lower tune.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:07 PM

Pulled a 3k pound Yamaha Rhino on a 12 foot'r from Indy back to the burgh on the Extreme Race file, no issues. You should be just fine on the tow file.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:20 PM

I pulled 7000 lbs. on the back of my truck with the performance preinstalled tune on accident. I didn't have any problems with it that time, but the oil pump took out the motor on the next load when I was on the way back empty. I don't think that had anything to do with the tuner though. I also have a 4.88 rearend too. I would use the tow tune just to be safe. These motors aren't cheap, let me tell ya.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
I know some people might tell you to go ahead, but I'm against pulling a load with anything but my tow tune... Its not the worry of excessive EGT's that bothers me, just the increase in cylinder pressures that comes from advancing the timing in the hotter tunes (if that makes sense). The difference in fuel mileage on that long of a trip doesn't out weigh extra risk in my book. Just my $.02.
Yeppers! When I trailer my Camaro, I dial it down to tow tune also. Like he said, the minimal savings in fuel is not worth the extra risk.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:38 AM
Banned

A 6000 lb trailer won't load the truck enough to cause any problems. I don't have DJ's tunes, but as I recall he doesn't recommend towing above 8000 lbs with any of his tunes.

I tow an 8,000 lb fifth wheel camper with Innovative's Street tune. It's all in how you drive it. Just because the max power is there doesn't mean you have to abuse it!
Old 12-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The big thing in running the tow tune VS the hot race tunes is the shift points (for me). I HATE that it shifts so early when I'm towing and running the street tune. On my 12ft quad trailer, (~4,000 lbs) there were no problems at all, but picking up the 12k lb 5er from the storage place, it was a crappy ride.

Now, whenever I pick up the 5er, I load up my tow tune so that I have delayed shifting to stay in the power band a bit longer.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:50 PM

I agree with you guys. I'd never consider towing a big trailer on anything but the tow tune or stock. I have a Quad commander, so I can watch tranny temp and EGTs. I just thought with such a light trailer, I might be able to get away with running the economy tune to save some fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.