Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What is the hp and torque for 2004 F-350 6.0L???

25K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  DKR 
#1 ·
I am trying to find out the stock horsepower and torque rating for my 2004
F-350 6.0L diesel supercab 4x4.

I have asked various people and get different answers. I am planning to install a Superchip (Model 1805) and want to understand the resultant impact it will have.

Appreciate your expert opinion in this matter. Thanks
-- JP

#9 ·
I agree SCT tuner is the only way to go on a 6.0L. Cost is about the same as a superchips flashpaq too. Much better results with custom tuning whether you want all out power or just a little extra oomph for towing and economy.

#10 ·
You are right, I do not know any better. That and the fact that the dealers in our small town only sell the Superchip and Edge products. The Superchip was about half the cost of the Edge tuner.

If I were to get an SCT tuner, which model should I look for? AND about what cost should I expect to pay?

Thanks,
--- JP

#13 ·
You are right, I do not know any better. That and the fact that the dealers in our small town only sell the Superchip and Edge products. The Superchip was about half the cost of the Edge tuner.

If I were to get an SCT tuner, which model should I look for? AND about what cost should I expect to pay?

Thanks,
--- JP
First if you don't already, with ANY chip/programmer you should get gauges, at least EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) and tranny temp.

For the SCTs, unless you want to spend the money on a Livewire, either the XCal 2 or 3 will work great for you.

Innovative Diesel Billet Speed - Innovative Diesel Re-director is having a special on CUSTOM tuned SCT XCal 2s right now, and a little extra for the stronger Xtreme files.

You can get SCTs with "canned" pre-loaded tunes, but for the extra fees, it is worth getting them custom for your truck and any mods you have.

Any questions feel free to PM me or Innovative Diesel through this site or contact Eric at Innovative directly through his site.

#11 ·
here is a little info for you all

YEAR MODEL HP@RPM TQ@RPM
1982 6.9L IDI 175@3,300 318@1,800
1988 7.3L IDI 185@3,300 338@1,600
1993 7.3L IDI-TURBO 190@3,000 388@1,400
1994.5 7.3L POWERSTROKE 215@3,000 425@2,000
1999 7.3L POWERSTROKE 235@2,700 500@1,600
2001 7.3L POWERSTROKE 250@2,600 525@1,600
2003 6.0L POWERSTROKE 325@3,300 570@2,000
2008 6.4L POWERSTROKE 350@3,000 650@2,000

#18 ·
I have the super chip 1805 and really like it, 1) it does not have to be mounted.
2) you can read any ford (gas included) from 2000 to present
3) internet upgradeable
4) 4 custom tunes
1 tow 46 extra hp and 86 torque
2 economy 90hp and 129
3 performance 94 hp 147
4 holy sh*t 160 hp 200
this is great ansd has saved me and my friends a lot of dealership shop time.

#19 · (Edited)
Not liking this. Have tried 4 times to add a reply and each time I have prepared a reply is does not register.

So short and sweet. By installing a Superchip 1805 model I am just looking to tow my 7200lb travel trailer a little better through the mountain passes in our area. The 7200lb is max I would have with water, batteries, clothes, stuff, etc. I DO NOT burn tires or race the guy next to me.

So want to maintain a 60mph speed going up the hills, rather that falling back 10mph or so.

Truck is running great STOCK. Did have a blown intercooler and turbo, however since they were fixed, truck has been just great. Generally put on 10,000 miles per year and I have usually kept my vehicles 10 years or more.

Hear/read that installing a Superchip will cause me nothing but trouble. The 6.0L engine does not handle the increase in boost, engine head bolts too short and not enough of them, to prevent blown head gaskets.

If adding a chip and running the system in TOW MODE, which provide an increase of 47hp and 82 ft.lb. torque, is going to give me problems, then better to stay stock.

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts if stock is better for my engine.

Thanks
-- JP
PS,,,,,,,,The Superchip retailer says TOW MODE should be fine for my engine, as long as I don't gun/race the vehicle. In fact, he says I could drive the truck in TOW MODE all the time, with or without the trailer. The local Ford dealer says should be okay to add the Superchip, just drive sensibly. The Superchip manufacturer says the same thing....just drive sensibly. I BELIEVE I DO DRIVE SENSIBLY. Perhaps they all are simply looking for sales and more repair work from me???????

#22 · (Edited)
The Superchip retailer says TOW MODE should be fine for my engine,....The Superchip manufacturer says the same thing....just drive sensibly.
Not trying to start anything, but of course they will say this.

These "plug and go" chips/manafacturer do have all one thing in common. They are a GENERIC plug n play program. With SCT, you get EXACTLY what you want for EXACTLY your truck, engine, driving style and the flash/strategy that is on your ECM. The "plug n plays" are a generic, "cover everything" style per motor. The customizers take your requirements, strategy, engine, whatever you what to give them and build a job/purpose built tune for your rig. Maybe it's just me, but I would take something custom and specialized over an all encompassing tune. Period.

Disclaimer :)lol2:): The above is my personal opinions, take them for what they are worth.:D

#25 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. The notion of a Superchip is history. I have been in contact with Eric at Innovative Diesel and plan to learn more about the SCT custom tune option.

For the time being I am going to continue to run STOCK, however will also see my Ford diesel mechanic and have him check the truck over to ensure all the codes are proper.

Again, thanks for all your comments. This has been a real learning experience.
-- JP

#30 ·
6 pos chip w/ custom tunes, injectors, upgrade the turbo, etc. depends how far you want to go.

My father-in-law has an 7.3 w/ chip, ram air intake, exhaust, upgraded turbo, and propane, and I still beat him in the 1/4 mile by almost a second before my intake and exhaust, tunes only.:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.