PCM Woes... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation PCM Woes...

So, I dropped my truck off at the dealership during my lunch break on Monday. It had been doing weird idle jerks/bucks/surges for about a month and I kept finding my own solution that would work for a week, then the problem would be back (found a vacuum line disco'd, disco'd the EGR, etc).

On my way to work on Monday, it surged enough to scare the poop out of me, and I happened to notice a cloud of black smoke come from the exhaust. I dropped it off, and they called me a few hours later and said they couldn't find anything on the road test, and wanted to keep it overnight to see how it would run in the morning...

Two hours later, I get a call saying that the BARO sensor is bad...reading 10psi, and should've been around 14psi, BUT the part wouldn't be in until Wednesday morning. So, they call me this morning to let me know that the part showed up and would call me in the afternoon to come get it.

This afternoon, I get a call saying that the BARO sensor fixed part of the problem, but now I have a bad PCM. I'm 2k over the 100k warranty, but I have an extended warranty...figured I'm good, right? Well, the warranty company says they won't cover a new PCM, only used or aftermarket. I figure that the FORD PCM is the only way to go, since I'll get a 12mon/12k warranty on it...besides, the "used" PCM might come from a salvaged truck that may or may not be good. The service rep said he didn't know of anyone that made an aftermarket PCM, so I called the warranty company and they're meeting me half-way with the NEW FORD PCM.

The new PCM goes for $586, they'll cover $200 and 1/2 hour labor for the install, and I'm stuck paying $386 plus 1 hour labor for the reprogram (they also don't cover diagnostic/reprogram), not to mention the $258 for the BARO sensor and labor since my extended warranty doesn't cover sensors...

What gets me really PO'd is the new PCM might not be here for 3-5 days!?!?! There's a huge distribution center up in Atlanta (80 miles north), and I would think that would be a stocked part, but 3-5 days is excessive enough to make me think that Ford has to make one in Detroit and put it on a train to get here...

I can only hope that the PCM fixes ALL my woes, but now what am I going to do with my Livewire? I have "5" unlocks left for the livewire, so will I be down to 4 when I pick up the truck? Or, do I now have a $600 paperweight that's only 2 weeks old? And, will the new PCM fix all the problems, or will it only uncover more?!?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.