New Guy With 6.0L Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Guy With 6.0L Questions

Hi guys, my name is Frank and I currently drive a 2006 Evo IX. I am considering selling the EVO and my beater car (1987 Pontiac Grand Am) for a 2003 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel.

I found a clean 2003 White F 350, extended cab, regular bed with 65,000 miles on it for $25,000. My mother knows the manager of the dealer and he told me that he will sell me the truck for $21,000.

My main question is what are the main things I should look for?

1) I hear all this bad talk about injectors (I do not know how to check and see if they are ok)

2) I also here that the EGR's get clogged? How do I check that?

Are there any recalls that I should check to see if they have been done?

How do I check to see if the turbo is bad? The only way I know of is to take it off and check for shaft play.

Lastly would anyone in the Monmouth County area be willing to check out the truck for me since I am a total newbie and I don't want to get screwed over.

I look forward to learning alot on this forum.

Thanks,
Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

get the VIN# and had the OASIS report ran, that will tell you a lot about the truck, once you have that info it will be easier to decide. do a yahoo search for oasis reports and you'll find someone who will run it for you, but like I said you need the vin#, they only can be done by a dealer. any other questions man just ask
Old 11-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks I will get the VIN number tomorrow. Thankyou
Old 11-27-2007, 04:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to bryan70546 Send a message via Yahoo to bryan70546
Hello Frank dont feel bad I went down that same road of not know nothing about the 6.0
1. get a oasis report from ford are you can join up to be a premium member here and get one for free.trust me you want that report.

2. the oasis report will tell you everything you want to know about the truck if the injectors were bad , with that low of miles ford probly change them again it will on the report.

3. yes egrs get clogged , there are post on the forums on how to pull them and clean them .are delete them are just unplug the thing but that one is up to you some say dont do it , some say do. I did and have not had any problems.

4. the last one I cant help you with .if the turbo is bad you will know . no boost no power.

I just got a 2004 f-250 with 70,000 miles on it and joined up here got a report and was very happy with it.
the people on here or the best and thier is also ford diesel techs on here with a whole bible of knowlege on these great trucks
good luck buddy. Forgot to add you will need the vin#
Bryan
Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Frank,

Have an Oasis report run on the truck by the service department. That will tell you a lot about the truck.

There is a 100k mile drivetrain warranty with a $100 deductible on major drivetrain parts. Make sure you have enough time left on the warranty also.

You won't be able to check the EGR Cooler, but you can check around the degas bottle(coolant overflow tank) to see if there are any signs of it leaking. When the EGR Cooler goes bad, it will spew coolant all over the place.

I'd expect there to be a few reflashes(reprogramming of the computer) done on the truck. Other than that, it's hit or miss on issues.

Give us a call, PM, or email if you have any specific questions.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Here's some tips:
What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bryan thanks for all the help. How do I become a premium member? What is the cost?

I guess first thing is first. I will get the Vin number, get the Oasis report, and report back to you guys.

Thanks again for all the help
Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 PM

this site can come in handy also, it covers all TSB's

6.0 PowerStroke bulletins
Old 11-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Guys GREAT news for me I just found all the information about the truck I was looking at on the internet.

Can anyone be so kind to run an Oasis Check

2003 Ford F-350 SUPER DUTY XLT
Super Cab Pickup
Exterior Color: Oxford White
Interior Color: Medium Flint
6.0 liter, 8 Cyl.
Diesel, Automatic With Overdrive
VIN: 1FTSX31P53ED43279
Stock # E182A
Miles: 65,829
Warranty: Yes

A new 6.0-liter diesel engine brings more power and reduced emissions to the Super Duty line. The standard 5.4-liter V8 gas engine has been revised for quieter and more refined operation. The base interior is nicer, and a power sliding moon roof is available for Crew Cabs. Those changes, plus new option packages make the 2003 F-350 and F-250 models more people-friendly.
Gold Check Certified

Truck is found here:

World Jeep is a Tinton Falls, New Jersey car dealer.

Bottom of Page 3
Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Banned

im sure other people on here will chim in but I dont think i would chance buying an 03 6 liter. I have an 05 and i love my truck and my engine. But with 03 being the first year of the builds, those are the ones that you hear most of the complaints about. Im sure a couple of people could pin it down better for you of what build date to aim for, but me personaly i would stay away from the 03 6.0.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.