7500 mile Road Trip - Pre-trip maint? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-25-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7500 mile Road Trip - Pre-trip maint?

Yes, you read it right, 7500 mile trip, beginning Dec 31. Me, my wife, two kids and a Black Lab. Alaska to Idaho -- 2900 miles with 6K lb travel trailer, and about 750lb in the bed, then 4600 mile roundtrip ID to PA without trailer and very little weight in the bed.
So, aside from changing oil and oil, air and fuel filters, and making sure all other fluids are topped off and taking extra fluids along, what else should I check and or clean before leaving? Also trans service was done and new rubber put on 6K miles back.

2005 F250 CC FX4 6.0L SCT Livewire, 4" Turbo back MBRP Exhaust, EGR/DPF Deleted, Zoodad, Airaid Intake, 33" BFG ATs, Leer Browning Edition Topper, High Idle, High beam-fog light Mod, Airlift Springs, homemade lightbar/4 Moose lights
2004 F150 SCrew 4X4 4.6L
K&N Intake, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 33" BFG ATs, leveled, Smittybilt Brush gaurd/tube steps, 4 Moose lights, Air helper springs, Leer Browning Edition Topper
2011 26Z2 Arctic Fox TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow, what an awesome trip. Have a blast.

1970 F250 Crew Cab rebuilt/restored w/Cummin s 4bt

8v, M5R2 Tranny, VE pump, DennyT stage 2 pin, M&H Dynamic Timing, 3200k gov spring, Hx30/Hx35 Twins, 40hp styx, smoke screw screwed, star wheel cranked, Hydroboosted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91 Gillig Phantom, Converted transit bus, 6v92 Detroit Diesel

6500 Watt Diesel Generator on board

All Diesel
All Day
post #3 of 14 Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 PM

keep an eye on your tires. if you have the 7.3, keep an extra CPS in the glove compartment with the right tool to change out.

if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's probably just a photon torpedo
post #4 of 14 Old 11-25-2007, 07:13 PM

I would say clean your battery terminals,check battery acid levels,a spare serpentine belt,bleed and top off brake fluid, then let out the summer air and put in winter air in your tires.(j/k about that last one)
Dont forget dog food and a roll of paper towels. If you take no other tools,be sure to take duct tape,wd40 and a pair of vise grips.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd also change the fuel filters, check the torque on the lug nuts, and I'd grease the front suspension fittings. For spares I'd consider getting a couple of the high pressure valve stems just in case you have to replace or fix a tire. Throw some tools, a belt, and some oil in the back.

Awesome trip - Enjoy! Post some pics if you can.

03 F-350 XLT 6.0 PSD Dually FX4 Long Bed Supercab 4x4
97 Bison 2 Horse slant load bumper pull trailer
00 Auto trailer - Home Made

Proud American, born in Elbert, West Virginia USA!

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

OH yeah, I'll be sure to have fun. I always take tools on trips, usually my craftsman 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" socket set, pliers, vicegrips, screwdrivers, a wrench set up to 1 1/4" and a couple adjustables. And a tire plug kit and mini compressor. I'll be taking along 2 spares as well, and 4ea 5 gal cans of fuel just in case for the ALCAN highway.

2005 F250 CC FX4 6.0L SCT Livewire, 4" Turbo back MBRP Exhaust, EGR/DPF Deleted, Zoodad, Airaid Intake, 33" BFG ATs, Leer Browning Edition Topper, High Idle, High beam-fog light Mod, Airlift Springs, homemade lightbar/4 Moose lights
2004 F150 SCrew 4X4 4.6L
K&N Intake, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 33" BFG ATs, leveled, Smittybilt Brush gaurd/tube steps, 4 Moose lights, Air helper springs, Leer Browning Edition Topper
2011 26Z2 Arctic Fox TT
post #7 of 14 Old 11-27-2007, 08:35 PM

If you hit any big problems around Calgary Alberta, or northwest BC along the way drop me line. Sounds like you got the minor details worked out. Good luck. The Family and myself will be going the other way this spring.... Calgary AB to Vegas to Houston TX. Same deal, 5th wheel, truck and tools.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Well, we are at the 5200 mile mark

Everythings going good with the truck, except I had to keep putting in about 1/2 gal coolant in about every 1000 miles. Anybody know why this might be?? Also, I have the hypertech on stage 3, and the best I got was 16.3 mpg without the trailer from ID to PA. This is going about 70-75. Can I get better mpg or is this normal for the speed I am going. Let me know what you think?

2004 F150 SCrew 4X4 4.6L
2011 26Z2 Arctic Fox TT
post #9 of 14 Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you finding coolant on the ground or is it "dissappearing" lol...

2001 F250
11.62 @ 115.79
Owner of Marty's Diesel
Elkton, Maryland
post #10 of 14 Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Served our Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by shfletchak View Post
Everythings going good with the truck, except I had to keep putting in about 1/2 gal coolant in about every 1000 miles. Anybody know why this might be?? Also, I have the hypertech on stage 3, and the best I got was 16.3 mpg without the trailer from ID to PA. This is going about 70-75. Can I get better mpg or is this normal for the speed I am going. Let me know what you think?
With the programmer turned up the powerstroke can puke coolant at times. I lived up there till 01 Fort Wainwright, AK right next door to north pole ak, well almost. We are gonna go back one of these days. Have a safe trip.

2006 White CC Lariat 4X2
4-inch duals with 6-inch tips no kitty

Airraid intake
Built FORD Tough on 05/04/06

2004 X-Cab PSD FX4 Bright Red"SOLD"

BOOMER SOONER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode