7500 mile Road Trip - Pre-trip maint? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7500 mile Road Trip - Pre-trip maint?

Yes, you read it right, 7500 mile trip, beginning Dec 31. Me, my wife, two kids and a Black Lab. Alaska to Idaho -- 2900 miles with 6K lb travel trailer, and about 750lb in the bed, then 4600 mile roundtrip ID to PA without trailer and very little weight in the bed.
So, aside from changing oil and oil, air and fuel filters, and making sure all other fluids are topped off and taking extra fluids along, what else should I check and or clean before leaving? Also trans service was done and new rubber put on 6K miles back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow, what an awesome trip. Have a blast.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:23 AM

keep an eye on your tires. if you have the 7.3, keep an extra CPS in the glove compartment with the right tool to change out.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:13 PM

I would say clean your battery terminals,check battery acid levels,a spare serpentine belt,bleed and top off brake fluid, then let out the summer air and put in winter air in your tires.(j/k about that last one)
Dont forget dog food and a roll of paper towels. If you take no other tools,be sure to take duct tape,wd40 and a pair of vise grips.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd also change the fuel filters, check the torque on the lug nuts, and I'd grease the front suspension fittings. For spares I'd consider getting a couple of the high pressure valve stems just in case you have to replace or fix a tire. Throw some tools, a belt, and some oil in the back.

Awesome trip - Enjoy! Post some pics if you can.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

OH yeah, I'll be sure to have fun. I always take tools on trips, usually my craftsman 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" socket set, pliers, vicegrips, screwdrivers, a wrench set up to 1 1/4" and a couple adjustables. And a tire plug kit and mini compressor. I'll be taking along 2 spares as well, and 4ea 5 gal cans of fuel just in case for the ALCAN highway.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:35 PM

If you hit any big problems around Calgary Alberta, or northwest BC along the way drop me line. Sounds like you got the minor details worked out. Good luck. The Family and myself will be going the other way this spring.... Calgary AB to Vegas to Houston TX. Same deal, 5th wheel, truck and tools.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

Well, we are at the 5200 mile mark

Everythings going good with the truck, except I had to keep putting in about 1/2 gal coolant in about every 1000 miles. Anybody know why this might be?? Also, I have the hypertech on stage 3, and the best I got was 16.3 mpg without the trailer from ID to PA. This is going about 70-75. Can I get better mpg or is this normal for the speed I am going. Let me know what you think?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:27 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you finding coolant on the ground or is it "dissappearing" lol...
Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Served our Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by shfletchak View Post
Everythings going good with the truck, except I had to keep putting in about 1/2 gal coolant in about every 1000 miles. Anybody know why this might be?? Also, I have the hypertech on stage 3, and the best I got was 16.3 mpg without the trailer from ID to PA. This is going about 70-75. Can I get better mpg or is this normal for the speed I am going. Let me know what you think?
With the programmer turned up the powerstroke can puke coolant at times. I lived up there till 01 Fort Wainwright, AK right next door to north pole ak, well almost. We are gonna go back one of these days. Have a safe trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.