arp studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
arp studs

If anyone is interested, the December copy of DieselPower magazine has a article about how to install head studs yourself. Just picked it up today. Will have it done if gaskets ever go.

Does anyone know of any other books or magazines about the 6.0l....
I have download the 6.0L bible already. I try and learn as much as possible about the 6.0l as possible,,may have to work on it someday...

Thanks
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-24-2007, 05:38 PM
im fat and ugly


 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 15,687
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you must have access to a lift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maybe others can see what is involved in doing head studs. They could have an idea what the techs are doing, and if they are lucky enough to own a lift, then they could go for it.

Just letting others in on some info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 469
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hehe Step 1: Lift the body off the frame..... hahaha Could do it in an afternoon....Not! It was a great article though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 11-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks like we have some rocket men on this forum,,hahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Was a good issue though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 11-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSTROKEDSC View Post
Looks like we have some rocket men on this forum,,hahahaha!!!!!!
whats that supposed to mean??

in all seriousness.....doing headstuds on a 6.0 RIGHT takes the average (not all...but average) dealer emplyed and factory trained tech 17-22 hours. Some can do it in 10-14 hours but this isnt the normal tech, this is the guy that really gets it. Not to discourage anyone from doing studs themselves, but i honestly feel that you have the "have's" and "have not's" as far as people who have the mechanical ability to tear ANY engine apart. only about 25% of people are "have's".....

of that 25%........only about 25% of those are really capable of an in depth repair on a more complicated motor (like the 6.0) without hitting major hangups....Soooo.....

that means that 12.5% of people who think they are mechanicaly inclined are actually capable of this repair/fix in my opinion. this isnt to say people cant do it...but people need to understand the complexity of this job before they start and get in over thier heads.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 11-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vernon, Texas
Posts: 3,333
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
whats that supposed to mean??

in all seriousness.....doing headstuds on a 6.0 RIGHT takes the average (not all...but average) dealer emplyed and factory trained tech 17-22 hours. Some can do it in 10-14 hours but this isnt the normal tech, this is the guy that really gets it. Not to discourage anyone from doing studs themselves, but i honestly feel that you have the "have's" and "have not's" as far as people who have the mechanical ability to tear ANY engine apart. only about 25% of people are "have's".....

of that 25%........only about 25% of those are really capable of an in depth repair on a more complicated motor (like the 6.0) without hitting major hangups....Soooo.....

that means that 12.5% of people who think they are mechanicaly inclined are actually capable of this repair/fix in my opinion. this isnt to say people cant do it...but people need to understand the complexity of this job before they start and get in over thier heads.......


I agree with ya marc, I have the tools, time, and parts, but dont feel its something i can do with out having a problem. And when i herd it was 20hrs of labor, i thought to my self.. hummm lets double that if im doing it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 3,720
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
I read the article and I must say my stomach hurt after seeing that lol..I will though say that when I saw the pics of Stumps truck getting the studs done as crazy and scary as it may seem. I have talked to Scuffy (Scott) and he deffs know his stuff. I wouldn't worry about it too much knowing he was doing it. But overall that whole job justs blows me away. I give Stump and Scuffy TONS of credit.

-Evan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Let me say this another way then,,,

If anyone is interested, the December copy of DieselPower magazine has a article about how to install head studs if you have a lift, tools, mechanical ability, and know how...

Better yet take it to the dealer..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 11-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSTROKEDSC View Post
Let me say this another way then,,,

If anyone is interested, the December copy of DieselPower magazine has a article about how to install head studs if you have a lift, tools, mechanical ability, and know how...

Better yet take it to the dealer..
it doesnt have to go to a dealer...we just dont want anyone getting in over thier heads on the job...since it is a pretty in depth thing....we werent trying to discredit the help you were trying to give buddy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors