do I need to change gears with bigger tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
do I need to change gears with bigger tires

Can I keep the stock gears on my 04 f250 with 35's ? At my local dealer the service tech mentioned I may want to put 4.56 gears in so the tranny does not work as hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by java black View Post
Can I keep the stock gears on my 04 f250 with 35's ? At my local dealer the service tech mentioned I may want to put 4.56 gears in so the tranny does not work as hard.
wow 4.56? that is way too low for 35's....you will lose all your top end with those... you dont have to regear but you will lose city driving MPG but gain highway miles.... if you really wanted to regear i would just get 4.10's... heck im doing 4.30's on my truck with 37's
Old 11-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
wow 4.56? that is way too low for 35's....you will lose all your top end with those... you dont have to regear but you will lose city driving MPG but gain highway miles.... if you really wanted to regear i would just get 4.10's... heck im doing 4.30's on my truck with 37's
thanks for the quick reply, I probably wont regear I would rather gain highway miles, i commute a few times a week with it
Old 11-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by java black View Post
i feel like slapping whoever started this rumor that we all need 4.56 gears on our diesels ! ! ! !

there is NO NEED for 4.56's ! ! i am running 35" tires and i still have my 3.73's and i can leave 4 black streaks in the road when i launch. my truck does not have any problem getting up and going.

if you are planning on doing A LOT of towing, you can step down to 4.10, dont even consider 4.30's unless you plan on going to a 37" tire.
to put things in perspective. 05 6.0 with 4.56 gears will spin 44" tires thru 3 gears going down the road ! ! i know because that's my boy's truck ! !
Old 11-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Banned

raul -- just saw your post. you are certainly on the right track. i cant believe anyone would recomend 4.56 for a 35" tire
Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by LvTitan View Post
raul -- just saw your post. you are certainly on the right track. i cant believe anyone would recomend 4.56 for a 35" tire
I would if it was for a gasser
Old 11-24-2007, 04:24 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I would if it was for a gasser

I aggree with you Dave. Gas truck yes, diesel truck no. The only time I would consider regearing my truck is if I went over a 35 inch tire.

When I had my 85 Chevy with a 454 in it. I was running 40 inch ground hawgs on it. I had 456 gears in that and I could smoke them tires easily.

My brother had a 92 GMC 1500 and was running 38 inch super swampers and had 456 gears.

But on a diesel gears are not needed unless you are over 35 inch tires. 4.10's would not be bad but for the cost out wieghs the benefit.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:20 AM

Not needed. However, I would get a programmer to bring back any power you might have lost. I'm running the flashpaq on just the Econo setting and it feels like I have the stock tires with alot more power.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Banned

i have stock gears and 35" tires. i have NO problem running a low 13quarter mile and i can smoke them thru several gears.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 PM

I had 4.56 in my 2000 f250 gasser and that worked great. I just put in 4.30 on my psd with 37" tires and for me it works great but if I did a lot of highway driving I would of gone with 4.10's. Definately not 4.56's, you will regret it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.