Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR Valve Bad?

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Evil Eye 
#1 ·
Great Forum - First Time PS Owner (04 F250 -born 9/03) and quickly learning to work on diesels (LOL). I think I should have started with a 7.3 before buying a 6.0. OK, enough BS, I need help. Should I be able to manually open the plunger in my EGR valve. While I had it out cleaning it, I was able to pull open the valve manually to clean the seat. It work smoothly, with some resistance, but I am concerned that I should not be able to open by hand. Any now for sure of this is OK or not? I am planning a 1200 miles trip starting tomorrow.

Thanks for the Help!

#2 ·
i can do the same with mine , its fine . thats how i clean it real good .:thumb:

#4 ·
Just unplug the thing and be done with it. You've already cleaned it which is half the battle. Sounds like it's just fine to me.

#6 ·
After just having the dealer replace the Oil Cooler and EGR Cooler, I continue to have "Woofing" noises, or burping back through the Airbox, so after cleaning it tonight and re-installing it, it continued to do the same. My understanding of the problem is that the EGR vavle is what is allowing this burping. So I unplugged the EGR valve and road tested for about 30 minutes and seems to have resolved the burping. Who Knows, tomorrow shall bring yet another issue with this darn truck. Anyone else experience this "Burping"?

#8 ·
I had the very same issue. I unplugged the EGR valve and never had any more problems

#10 ·
Stroketech - you say it is the Turbo Vains are sticking. I just seen a video on here demonstrating the "Turbo Fart". Mine does this under acceleration (without consistancy - Half Throttle, 3/4 throttle, very intermitantly, etc) - whaddya think on that?

G
#12 ·
fart

If it does under accel its the egr if it farts on decel it is the turbo did I miss the clarification somewhere?

Oh and if you are having continued problems with the egr and your cleaning it, ford doesnt reccomend cleaning anymore because they have figured out it doesnt work long term.

G
#11 ·
egr

When you unplug an egr valve the direct effect is that it no longer operates. This sounds like a great plan untill the hot gas sits in the egr cooler because it cant go anywhere and the melts the internal solder out of the egr cooler then dumps coolant into the exhaust and potentially hydrolocking the engine. Please block the egr off at the back of the cooler if you are going to do away with the egr operation. The best thing to do is block it off at the back and then allow the egr to do its normal thing.

#13 ·
First off, thanks for the help, I seem to be chasing my tail. I just had the EGR Cooler and Oil Cooler replaced. The truck "Farts" while accelerating with no consistancy (tough to diag!). I now have the EGR unplugged (just did it tonight). I am heading on a 10 day 1200 mile trip tomorrow. If the truck runs OK while on this trip with the EGR unplugged, I will do the EGR delete kit. So my questions are - 1. Will I be ok with EGR unplugged without blocking the EGR for this length of time? 2. Do you think I have vain issue in the Turbo, requiring attention?

G
#14 ·
Well

My experience with farting while accelerating is an egr issue. I would put one in it. I dont think its wise to drive with one unhooked without the egr cooler blocked off and it sounds like your turbo is just fine. Another tech may jump on here but that is what I have seen.

#15 ·
I am certainly not challanging you, cause I ain't got a clue, but... the local ford dealer (after service writer rode with me and heard it) said they tested the EGR and it was working fine??? Although my initial test says it is not farting with it unplugged? What gives? Again I will ask, is 10 days too long for the EGR to be unplugged?

#17 ·
Thanks for the Help - I will repost when I return...if I make it back!

#19 ·
So far so good. I pulled a 27 ft. trailer for three weeks through Saskatchewan last summer in 90+ heat with no issues. I know another guy locally who's had his unplugged longer than mine and his is ok. Does the exhaust gas in the cooler really get that hot if the EGR valve is not functional? If there is no flow through it, I would think that the cooler would cool the "dead" gas pretty quick. I know there was a discussion about this on another thread with some differing opinions.

#20 ·
Yes, but dead heading the exhaust doesn't mean that heat won't be transferred to the EGR cooler and since it's dead headed, there's no way to release any of that heat. It's very similar to having the oven on in the kitchen. The whole kitchen will get very warm, especially with the windows closed... If you open the windows, the temperatures in the kitchen are able to stabilize - still a bit warmer then normal, but not nearly as hot.

Oh and the cooling effect is usually determined based upon the volume of high temperature exhaust gas, but in this case, it will be based on the amount of heat being convected into the EGR cooler. I'm no expert in heat convection, but these things are notoriously unreliable, which is why a number of folks (especially the techs) recommend to block them off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.