Vibing, Moaning, Farting, gawsh... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibing, Moaning, Farting, gawsh...

So I'm one of the unfortunate few who's been having annoying sounds coming from his 6.0 lately. I got a moan that comes on about 1500 rpm and tapers off after 1800-2000. My dash is vibrating/humming excessively...and now...turbo farting! It's been cold here in Tally the last couple days and now when the engine warms up I can make it fart consistently.

Marc responded to a farting post saying that not driving the truck hard enough could foul up the turbo, hence the consistent turbo fart whilst the engine is cool.

I've also heard that carbonization can cause the moaning sound.

As far as the vibes go, which smooth out at part throttle, I'm hoping it's just a clogged fuel filter set. The current filters are only 6,000 miles old, but I've run a whole tank of B20 through the truck and who knows, maybe that thing is just dirty. I'm praying that does something about the idle vibration.

So, I guess with the farting I'm guilty of not driving the truck hard enough the last 3 months or so. I do a lot of short trips and stop and go city driving. I try to "Get On It" at least once or twice a day...maybe that ain't enough??? I guess I just gotta race the P*SS out of it eh? Dang fuel prices. Dang them to Hades. Any more ideas guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselViking View Post
So I'm one of the unfortunate few who's been having annoying sounds coming from his 6.0 lately. I got a moan that comes on about 1500 rpm and tapers off after 1800-2000. My dash is vibrating/humming excessively...and now...turbo farting! It's been cold here in Tally the last couple days and now when the engine warms up I can make it fart consistently.

Marc responded to a farting post saying that not driving the truck hard enough could foul up the turbo, hence the consistent turbo fart whilst the engine is cool.

As far as the vibes go, which smooth out at part throttle, I'm hoping it's just a clogged fuel filter set. The current filters are only 6,000 miles old, but I've run a whole tank of B20 through the truck and who knows, maybe that thing is just dirty. I'm praying that does something about the idle vibration.

So, I guess with the farting I'm guilty of not driving the truck hard enough the last 3 months or so. I do a lot of short trips and stop and go city driving. I try to "Get On It" at least once or twice a day...maybe that ain't enough??? I guess I just gotta race the P*SS out of it eh? Dang fuel prices. Dang them to Hades. Any more ideas guys?
The past few days it's been cold in the Columbia Gorge here and my truck has been having a slight moan to it. When things heat up the sound goes away. No vibes at all. I still run 100% petrol diesel so I don't know if your situation is because of B20. But it could be. I have heard of fuel filter problems from it. If your engine is being starved of diesel it would vibrate a little more than what is normal, but you would think that when you demanded more fuel when x-celerating that the problem would persist. Or even worsen, or shut down all together. The turbo fart, (I call it a "furbo", is norml, It will always be there, unless you aplly a Blow-Off Valve . I would drive the P*SS out of it, at least twice a day, maybe check your turbo actuator, and most def take a look at fuel filters and see whats going on there. I know also that there are cold hard starts with the 6.0 and they can idle very poorly until they get up to temp. THis may also be the case here?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselViking View Post

Welcome to the club. I've been trying to get the same issues fixed for weeks. The techs at the dealer here are too stupid to change a light bulb. The exhaust noise is a known issue. Here's a link to the TSB: 05-19-12***TURBO-INDUCED EXHAUST MOAN/DRONE AT 1500-2000 RPM - 6.0L BUILT AFTER 9/29/2003

Cleaning the carbon from the turbo did not help at all on my truck.

Good luck. I hope your dealer is smarter than mine.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST PowerKore View Post
The past few days it's been cold in the Columbia Gorge here and my truck has been having a slight moan to it. When things heat up the sound goes away. No vibes at all. I still run 100% petrol diesel so I don't know if your situation is because of B20. But it could be. I have heard of fuel filter problems from it. If your engine is being starved of diesel it would vibrate a little more than what is normal, but you would think that when you demanded more fuel when x-celerating that the problem would persist. Or even worsen, or shut down all together. The turbo fart, (I call it a "furbo", is norml, It will always be there, unless you aplly a Blow-Off Valve . I would drive the P*SS out of it, at least twice a day, maybe check your turbo actuator, and most def take a look at fuel filters and see whats going on there. I know also that there are cold hard starts with the 6.0 and they can idle very poorly until they get up to temp. THis may also be the case here?
This is NOT true and I'm actually getting tired of reading this! My truck has NEVER made an audible fart until the veins started to stick.

Yes some trucks may do it more than others but none of my group of friends trucks do it....
Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 PM

Hmm. Yeah, no fuel problems under WOT or even partial. I'm changing the fuel filters out next week when I get my lot of 3 that I ordered on Ebay. I threw a can of Seafoam in it tonight when it hit Low Fuel and added about 8 gallons that I'm gonna run in it the next few days. Been using DKleen up to now. Thought I'd give the Seafoam a shot for the carbon.

Tech10002, I fully intend on taking it to the dealer for the A-brace and such, as soon as I get some time off to get it to the dealer and 'deal' with them, hehe. I'm also going to spend some time neutralizing the exhaust.

Today I loosened the downpipe v-band clamp while it was idling, shut it off, tightened it back up, and then started and ran it around town again. That didn't do anything. Next I'm gonna warm it up and loosen both the v-band clamp and the bolts at the Cat while running, shut off and retighten and see if that does something. We'll see what happens.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:35 PM

I just put my 4" turbo back exhaust on mine, and the sound is 98% gone. I think the A brace will get rid of the remaining tiny bit of noise, but it's not really bad enough to worry about anymore. I can only hear a hint of the noise with the radio off, windows up, and A/C fan off.

I bet neutralizing the exhaust will get rid of most of your noise too.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What about the Turbo Fart while accelerating? Whaddya think it is?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:49 PM

It's the the variable geometry vanes sticking. Mine does that a lot more than it used to. It does it all the time when it's cold. I really think my turbo needs to be replaced, but the dealer here is too stupid to diagnose anything other than a rod through the side of the block. That moaning noise is still present even with my aftermarket exhaust and seems to be getting worse. It sounds like the bearings are starting to go in the turbo. It makes a lot of rattle when it's spooling down once the engine is shut down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.