FICMrepair.com question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICMrepair.com question

Ok well it looks as if my FICM is taking a dump on me and I'm weighing out options on fixing it. No mind you that I'm strapped for cash so a BPD FICM is out of the question. Now what I'm wondering is, is the basic repair service from FICMrepair.com ok to get? I was thinking the basic repair with a atlas 80 tune since I rarely tow anymore. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If you do the basic repair it's $190 plus another $150 so your only $150 shy of a new BPD 4 Phase FICM at that point so I think it would be more beneficial to go that route and get a brand new unit that doesn't use any of the chitty OEM style parts that fail all the time. Just my $0.02.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
If you do the basic repair it's $190 plus another $150 so your only $150 shy of a new BPD 4 Phase FICM at that point so I think it would be more beneficial to go that route and get a brand new unit that doesn't use any of the chitty OEM style parts that fail all the time. Just my $0.02.
I understand that but I'd really like to throw a tune on the FICM while I'm at it. Wish I could afford the 6 phase BPD FICM so I could run a 58v FICM but that's just not in the cards for me financially. I'm on a really tight budget as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 PM

so send in yours to ED the tune is on the logic side so you could still do the BPD 1/2 shell next time and only be out the repair money but still have the tune
Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Banned

I can't speak from experience but I know of others who have had the repairs done to their OEM FICM and it still fails in the end and leaves them with a truck that is down and having to wait for the repair to happen again.

Here's the deal. You can always get a FICM tune. You can rent the programmer from PHP and pay for a tune and install it later on yourself. Doing that also gives you the ability to try other FICM tunes and pick which one you like.

Ed's best repair and best warranty will set you back $500 throw a tune on that and your looking at $650 plus shipping costs both ways. And that still retains the OLD ORIGINAL garbage OEM board, heat sync and all the garbage OEM components that fail.

BPD's 4 Phase gives you a BRAND NEW completely redesigned board with all new better designed components and a BADASS looking heat sync housing all for $500. Throw on a FICM tune and your sitting at the same price as the repair but with a brand new unit that has been PROVEN to be better than any repair. It's your money spend it how you choose to do so I am just giving my opinion on the situation.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed05 View Post
I understand that but I'd really like to throw a tune on the FICM while I'm at it. Wish I could afford the 6 phase BPD FICM so I could run a 58v FICM but that's just not in the cards for me financially. I'm on a really tight budget as it is.
Any particular reason you want to run a 58v FICM on a 48v system?

bryan has a great point about the 4-phase BPD FICM....that FICM itself would be better than any "repaired" FICM with a tune...but that's just my 2 pennies.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
I can't speak from experience but I know of others who have had the repairs done to their OEM FICM and it still fails in the end and leaves them with a truck that is down and having to wait for the repair to happen again.

Here's the deal. You can always get a FICM tune. You can rent the programmer from PHP and pay for a tune and install it later on yourself. Doing that also gives you the ability to try other FICM tunes and pick which one you like.

Ed's best repair and best warranty will set you back $500 throw a tune on that and your looking at $650 plus shipping costs both ways. And that still retains the OLD ORIGINAL garbage OEM board, heat sync and all the garbage OEM components that fail.

BPD's 4 Phase gives you a BRAND NEW completely redesigned board with all new better designed components and a BADASS looking heat sync housing all for $500. Throw on a FICM tune and your sitting at the same price as the repair but with a brand new unit that has been PROVEN to be better than any repair. It's your money spend it how you choose to do so I am just giving my opinion on the situation.
Ed upgrades key components - FETS, capacitors, etc.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:48 AM
Banned

But your still left with the OEM board and all the other components that can and do fail especially with the $190 repair he just repairs the stuff that has already failed.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Cant go wrong with Eds repairs.

He upgrades all the failure points with the exception of the board.

But gotta agree with Brian on the BPD unit.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM
Banned

I agree Dave it can be a permanent fix but especially here in the last month I have heard of 3 or 4 of his repairs failing again. At which point spending that kind of money for a repair and a tune to have it repaired again I would just buy the BPD one and call it good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.