FICMrepair.com question - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^these are my thoughts exactly.. Business is business... I can see a 2 year warranty on electrical items but 5 or more? ahh uh.. Craftsman doesnt warranty there torque wrenches for more than 1 year for golly sakes and thats a tool.. Just to state how warranties work ya know? This thread my sound like a BPD bashing segment but IT IS NOT by any means.. This is just a discussion to get back to reality in realville and compare and contrast expensive parts we purchase for our trucks. To add I only warranty electrical parts/labor for 1 year in my business, and i deal with the same electrical items that are in ficms... Again just trying to pin out ideas and thoughts so you can make good decisions on where your hard earned money goes.

Last edited by 04cr450; 01-17-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Re: FICMrepair.com question

If I get a new ficm from ford is it required for them to reflash my pcm in order to get the ficm to mate up and work?

Sent from my phone
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Fwiw the ficm on my truck is the original one. 7+ years it worked good. Probably been crapping out the past year or so...

Sent from my phone
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM

Im with ya double d.. mine lasted the same before i replaced mine.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDpsd View Post
If I get a new ficm from ford is it required for them to reflash my pcm in order to get the ficm to mate up and work?

Sent from my phone
Bump

Sent from my phone
Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Powerstrokinva
DoubleD-nothing has to be programmed for a new FICM. At least that is what the ford parts guy told me when I called to price a new one. Should be plug and play.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstrokinva View Post
DoubleD-nothing has to be programmed for a new FICM. At least that is what the ford parts guy told me when I called to price a new one. Should be plug and play.
Thanks. They want over 550 for a new complete one, looks like im gonna eat the down time and get a 6 phase. These people working at these dealerships are out of it. I had the service writer go 'confirm' with the tech and the tech told him everything would need to be reflashed in order for a bnib ficm to work. Doesnt make sense to me why that would be required.

Sent from my phone
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Powerstrokinva
Quote:
Thanks. They want over 550 for a new complete one, looks like im gonna eat the down time and get a 6 phase. These people working at these dealerships are out of it. I had the service writer go 'confirm' with the tech and the tech told him everything would need to be reflashed in order for a bnib ficm to work. Doesnt make sense to me why that would be required.

Sent from my phone
Yeah I specifically asked them when I priced it as I am a mechanic (not at a ford dealer) because I was installing it myself and didn't want to get stuck with a truck that wouldn't start.

I just called a buddy that works at ford as a mechanic. He said that most of them will work out of the box but you are "supposed" to program them with the latest calibration.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Sent from my phone
Ford and BPD sell u a half shell so no logic side = no programing

Ford can sell u the whole deal and programing // but why ? logic's are almost never the issue unless your power side smokes everything
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterslaw77 View Post
I get they stand behind it and will be buying one someday, but what happens 7 years 100k from now they just gonna give you a brand new one. Or how about 3 years 40k miles?
You'll have to discuss that with them. If it fails at 5 yrs/100,000 miles, I'd say it was a good $700 spent to go that long. The other thing to take from this is their name is by no means indicative of their components being exempt from failure. I'd highly recommend you talk with them about their warranty policies, and maybe you're just misunderstanding what their name really stands for. the biggest thing to remember is that BPD will warranty their FICM. For how long, is beyond me. I know that if I walk out of the parts department at Ford with one, it's mine, all costs aside. They don't warranty sh!t!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.