stereo replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stereo replacement

How hard is it to swap the factory stereo for a new cd dvd nav system stereo? I was thinking of doing it myself but don't want to get in over my head. I'm no mechanic or stereo guy but did do all my gauges and installed my cab lights and fender lights myself. What is a good system at a decent price? I would be willing to spend around $600.00 for a new system. Thanks for any advise. (06 F-250)

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 AM

I'm finishing up a stereo swap on my 06 F350. Got a Pioneer AVIC-D3, good unit. It set me back $700 on amazon. Only downside with the D3 is that you have to pull the nav disc to play a CD, but since I have an ipod attached, I didn't care about that. Here's a few things I learned:

Pulling the dash panel is unbelievably simple. Just grab the top lip and tug on it a few times, it pops right out. Same for the door panels if you're replacing speakers. Very simple.

You will need the nav unit, plus an install kit, plus a wiring harness plug. You'll also need a 1/4 drive socket wrench set.

Wiring up the plug you bought to the Pioneer nav unit was simple. For the most part, the color codes matched. Solder the wires together! This is a diesel engine, and they do vibrate.

If you have steering wheel volume controls, you can get a unit to get them to work with the D3.

Getting the old CD player out was simple - held in place by two screws.

For the most part, it was a simple install. Only trouble spots were finding the speed sensor (too many gray/black wires under there) and finding the reverse indicator wire (trial and error). And when you take off the red reflectors on the door to get the door panel loose, be careful. It's real easy to break the tab off of the end.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 AM
COLLEGE KID

Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
Its a great idea to solder but if you dont solder, just make sure you make really good connections. if you dont feel like doing it.. shouldnt cost you more than 20-40 bux to get someone to do it for you
Old 11-12-2007, 01:10 PM

sounds easy enough

Thanks for the input guys

Scott
Old 11-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recently put in a DVD player with a 7" pop-out screen in my '05 that I got off of e-bay for cheap, install was very simple thanks to a dash instal kit and a wiring harness adapter that I picked up locally. Using the wiring adapter you can connect all the wires from your stereo to the adapter on your workbench and once the factory unit is out, you just plug in the new adapter, and then your almost finished. There are hundreds of websites that you can Google to get help if you need it. But, if your looking for a one stop shop, go to Crutchfield.com. When you buy your player from them, they include any instal kits, wiring plugs, and detailed step-by-steo instructions to help you get the job done yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.