wat do you think about the 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 05:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wat do you think about the 6.0?

hey im in the market for a new truck now i have been looking alot at the 7.3s but i am curious about the 6.0 i hear alot of nightmares about them like overheating and what not but i just wont give in can anyone give me some pros and cons advice suggestions or anything thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Had mine for about 6K miles now and I'm quite pleased with not only the motor, but the truck overall. Rides good, looks good, drives good and has plenty of power to do whatever I need to do.

Done some towing with it, including some pretty heavy stuff (~15K lbs on a 300 mile round trip). Truck handled it great and never gave me any issues. Overall, like I said, I'm happy with my purchase.

I would advise to buy a later year 6.0 (05-07). Most of the complaints I've heard come from the earlier years of the 6.0.

Good luck in your search!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Different 'Strokes for different folks. MOST people will swear by what they are currently driving. I haven't had any overheating issues, and the recalls that were handled close to 2 years ago have kept the truck running good. Overheating is usually the result of powerful tunes on the programmers. Simple things like a good 4in turbo back exhaust will do wonders for heat issues. Researching your programmer, the different custom tuners, and how both perform will tell you what you can expect for heat (if you plan on going that route). I don't know anyone with overheating issues on a stock truck. Most people will agree that if you are in the market for an auto tranny, the Torqshift (5R100) is a much better tranny than the 4spd that comes with the 7.3s. Hang around on the site, do your homework, and don't get in a hurry and I'm sure you will find out everything you need to make your decision. You're in the right place.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
I would advise to buy a later year 6.0 (05-07). Most of the complaints I've heard come from the earlier years of the 6.0.

Good luck in your search!!!
Most problems come with the early 03's cause they were the first of the breed. Mine is a late 04, and the only "issue" I've had was a clogged EGR valve that ruined a boost pressure sensor or something. All covered under the 100k engine warranty. I bought mine new, and I have about 33K on it, with about 8k of that running tuners.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Rice Hunter

I have only 15K with no problems here! Got plenty of get up n go and average 19-23mpg.
Not bad for a heavy azz rig running ballz to da wall all the time!!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tick toc
Old 11-05-2007, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to 6.0Sean
I love my truck, my Dad was the previous owner, had it till about 28k, I bought it last year and now have 43k. Just about all of the miles Ive had it has been tuned etc. Pulls great, good mpgs, comfortable, good looking truck! Mine is a late 04, Ive heard problems too, but have had non with mine...
Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM

Bought my '06 new and have 22,200 on her so far. Only "problem" I have had is a bad rear pinion seal which was replaced under warranty. No engine issues. Purrs like a kitten cause I drive her hard and put good stuff in her at every fill up. I don't think you could go wrong with either a late 7.3 or late 6.0. Both strong performers. I think the key thing with any turbodiesel, 7.3, 6.0, what have you, is running them hard. They're meant to tow multiple-thousands of pounds on a regular basis. If you baby them they'll rot. Of course with gas prices at over $3.00/gallon it's hard to justify that when you're trying to have good fuel economy. My rule of thumb is to open her up at least ONCE every time I drive her. Every time. As long as she's up to operating temps I try to do that. It doesn't hurt my economy too bad doing that way. Good luck. Just find the truck that makes your heart beat faster. 7.3 or 6.0, that's the one to get.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:13 PM

I bought my 04 last Feb and had a friend of mine run an oasis on it. My truck did not have anything major done to it with the previous owner and i thought that was a pretty good sign.
Bought the truck with 116,xxx miles on it and now am up to 122,xxx. I did pull out the egr and clean it off as i was tossing a cel. Since then i have had no issues
Old 11-06-2007, 04:43 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I love my 6.0L, but those 7.3's are workhorses and with the right supporting mods can be as fast (or faster) than the 6.0L. I would agree that most of the 05-07 rigs have the fewest problems, but they still have some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.