Deciding on an Oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Big Daddy!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Deciding on an Oil

I am looking into standardizing on a brand of Oil. From the research I have done I think I like Royal Purple. A side note: I work around refineries and Royal Purple is almost exclusively what they use to lubricate thier process control equipment I know it is expensive, but I want to make sure the performance is worth the price difference. I plan on keeping this truck for 15 - 20 years! I have exclusively used Mobil1 Synthetic for about 15 years and I LOVE its performance, but I think it is time for a new product!

Also I would like to know what weight is best for my truck. It does not REALLY work all that much. I put a lot of highway miles on it, but that is all. When I am on the road I sometime have up to 1000 pounds in the bed, which I don't think she even feels, because it doen't even squat.

Any suggestion would be AWESOME, and anyone that know what weight Ford reccomends I would like to hear from as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Bring On The Snow

Send a message via AIM to SuperDutyPSD6L
Rotella 15-40 is what I run in my truck when average temps are above 40 degrees. In the winter I run 10-30 rotella it just helps the 6.0s start easier. Rotella is a great oil and is used in a good percetage of over the road semis. Hope that helps u.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Big Daddy!

Excellent information. I live in H-Town, and it is RARELY under 40 here, but I have a feeling I will be traveling to colder climates!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I run Chevron Delo 400 15w-40 in all of our diesels except for the detroits. Those take Delo 100.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Bring On The Snow

Send a message via AIM to SuperDutyPSD6L
I would say just go with Rotella 15-40. I usually run it all the time here in colorado cuz I am too lazy too go find the other weight. Running Rotella 15-40 u will not be dissapointed. It is relatively cheap as well and can be purchased at walmart for about $10 a gallon.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I use 15w-40 Rotella Triple Protection in the summer and 5w-40 synthetic Rotella in the winter. I pay $8.88 per gallon at Walmart for the 15w-40 and $16.24 for the synthetic. Great stuff. I have no complaints.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just switched over to Amsoil, I have noticed a big difference in cold weather perf. Truck warms up fast, and the oil temp is about 15* cooler. Around 1mpg difference after 1500 miles. I plan on staying with it for as long as I can. Contact Shawn @ Performance Oil Products, he's a vendor on here and gave me an awesome deal. Plus the shipping was unbelievably quick. Prior to the change I was running Mobil Delvac and Delo. But the 15K change interval sold me or 25k with the bypass sys. I do alot of dist. driving and towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.