Bulletproofing my 6 Liter - Page 7 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A little mini update for you guys.

During lunch today I FINALLY got my fan and shroud off! I ended up hitting it with my purse.

But really, I went to harbor freight and picked up a 36" jimmy bar (has a hook on one end and a point on the other.) I put the pointed end into the black pulley hole and laid that down on the passenger side fender to hold it. Then I hooked my 2ft pipe wrench with a 4ft cheater bar on it up to the nut and pulled and out she came.

Now I'm out to try to figure out how to remove the A/C system, wish me luck..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

The hvac box is easy, pull the rh fender liner, and 4 or 5 11mm nuts on the inside of the cab and the whole thing comes out.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

There a couple nuts you don't have to remove. You can see the holes in this pic, there's one or two more behind the oil fill tube.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity_gt View Post
The hvac box is easy, pull the rh fender liner, and 4 or 5 11mm nuts on the inside of the cab and the whole thing comes out.
You don't have to pull the fender liner out and there are 6 11mm nuts on the inside of the cab. Just make sure to disconnect the vacuum lines inside the cab before you pull it out and make sure to pull everything out in front of the evaporator core in the engine compartment and it will come right out.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

No you don't "have" to pull the liner. But trust me its way easier to get the box in and out with the liner at least dropped down on to the tire.

I didn't do the liner when I removed my hvac box and faught it....dropped the liner to go back in, and it fell in! With no trouble.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
No you don't "have" to pull the liner. But trust me its way easier to get the box in and out with the liner at least dropped down on to the tire.

I didn't do the liner when I removed my hvac box and faught it....dropped the liner to go back in, and it fell in! With no trouble.
I didn't have the option to drop mine without spending $20 on a damn #2 square drive bit. So I didn't drop it at all and to be honest I didn't have any problems getting it in or out, but then again I never tried it with the liner dropped so I wouldn't be able to compare the two.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM

I couldn't get the whole fender liner removed but I was able to push the front end down enough to give it some play and didn't have too much of a problem getting the box out. I wish I knew about the 5 nuts on the interior before I started. It came right out after that. I had to search for a while for the top nut towards the center of the vehicle. It was behind that fluffy white insulation which is so annoying when trying to see anything past it.

I guess I got lucky with my fan. I used channel locks and a screw driver with some grunting and it came loose. Once I broke it free I was able to unscrew it by hand the rest of the way. I did see marks from an air hammer once I pulled it out. I ended up putting it back on with a pipe wrench and a screw driver.

Oh, and I thought I didn't have much room. Damn! My garage is 26' deep minus the shelving. It left me with about 4'-5' in front on the Ex to stack parts.

If you haven't already done so, I sprayed the hell out of my intake manifold with engine degreaser (one full can)-inside and out- and let it sit for a few hours. I hit it again with another can and took it to the pressure washer. I got ALOT of crap out of it that way. Not as good as a dunk tank, but it came out pretty good.

Looking good so far.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8T2W8T View Post
I couldn't get the whole fender liner removed but I was able to push the front end down enough to give it some play and didn't have too much of a problem getting the box out. I wish I knew about the 5 nuts on the interior before I started. It came right out after that. I had to search for a while for the top nut towards the center of the vehicle. It was behind that fluffy white insulation which is so annoying when trying to see anything past it
I'm pretty sure it's those two nuts behind the insulation that DON'T have to come out, I remember because I went thru all the trouble of getting them out just to find out after the box was out they didnt have to be removed.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's those two nuts behind the insulation that DON'T have to come out, I remember because I went thru all the trouble of getting them out just to find out after the box was out they didnt have to be removed.
Are you F'ING kidding me??
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Seriously? Those were the two biggest pains in the butt. The hardest one for me was the top one all the way to the right. Half mine weren't even tight on the studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.