Taking a break from egr delete.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Taking a break from egr delete....

....and I have a few thoughts, which I haven't ran across yet, which might be beneficial to someone takling this the first time.

1. If you don't have an air ratchet, there is only one substitute. Forget about using a regular ratchet of any kind on the v-clamps behind the turbo, unless you enjoy spending an hour going 1 or 2 clicks at a time. I have an air ratchet, but when working on it at 10:00 p.m., can't really be waking the neighbors. Plus teh space is so limited in my garage with teh beast all the way in, I can barely walk around it as is. I was skeptical, especially as we're talking Harbor Freight, but figured I can always return for the $29.99 price tag. I am pleasantly impressed....it did the trick, maybe even easier than my air ratchet with fighting the air hose. I like this tool so much, I wouldn't think of returning it.

2. I read about the people with sore backs, aches and pains from leaning over and working on this. I'm doing this with a torn rotator cuff, that is scheduled for surgery Feb 14th.....and this is a physically demanding job, only as far as all the reaching and bending over. A sturdy step stool about the height of an upside down 5 gallon bucket is perfect. The 5 gallon bucket doesn't work well....it will slip out under your feet when reaching behind the turbo, and I'm 6' tall.

3. Prepare some sort of cushioning to lay across the front of the engine bay. Half to protect it, half to protect you! That hood latch hurts.

4. Wiring harness....I haven't read a whole lot about what to do with it during the egr delete, usually there is no mention of it. I unbolted the FICM to move it a couple inches to the side, unplugged the 8 connectors, and used a couple bungee cords to support it a bit higher. Manifold cam out fine this way.

5. Labor time. Various egr delete manufacturers will quote time frames of 6 to 12 hours. Let's be real here. Even with a torn rotator cuff that is 'tolerable' for now, I am a former USAF crew chief and aircraft mechanic. I work on gas and diesel engines in Class 8 trucks. Those time frames are accurate assuming you are simply doing teh job, swapping out the parts. Start calculating in teh rest of the items not mentioned. Like, are you going to re-install that turbo stand that is caked with oil on one side of it? Or will you spend the time to clean it....and maybe paint it with some engine high-temp paint? Doing the oil cooler, and I can see I will be spending 30 minutes cleaning just the cover. The engine valley.....I'm thinking 20 minutes with a brush and a shop vac. Plugging 16 intake ports with carefully rolled up paper plugs? Another 20 minutes. Cleaning all the bolts, the one's that will be re-used? How about the prep work, during the flushing procedure? I installed the Furano valves in the block drains, but you have starter R&R involved as well. Although 20 years ago I would do this start-to-finish non-stop starting on a Saturday morning, I'm not that young anymore. Properly done, with items properly cleaned along the way, I'm going to estimate 18 hours for the egr delete and oil cooler. (That's AFTER you have spent the better part of a day flushing your system.)

General thoughts: I'm convinced the problem with the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke is 100% NOT International's fault. If this engine were installed in a class 7 truck, there would be a doghouse access panel to easily access the back of teh engine, making servicing the egr system much easier. Ford shoved this engine in this truck...well...face it, WE wanted a pick up with a powerful diesel, right? Well, Ford erred in using the wrong coolant. They should have followed International's guidelines. Additionally, I think ANY turbo diesel needs to be run on synthetic oil only. Just due to the turbo heat, oil coking, etc. I just inspected my 172,000 mile egr cooler......water flows freely through it, and other than slight soot inside, no passages appear clogged. I was a bit shocked by the number of welds on the damn thing. (This is a 2006, square cooler.) Oil cooler inspection coming up within the hour....I'm preparing for the huge mess of oil as I remove it. I have a plastic garbage bag ready to set it into, right next to the engine......Yes, the Forum has saved me from doing what most have ended up with....a long trail of oil across the floor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Banned

I should added it's a good idea to pick up a box of vinyl gloves. Harbor Freight has them around $9 for a box.....get the purple ones that are a dollar more than the cheap ones, as they are thicker and more durable.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

I found during my install that removing the wire harness holder above the turbo was beneficial in clearing up space to get to the turbo and ALL the clamps.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just picked up one of these, previously I've been using milk crates to get up and down which is a pain in the ***, to say the least.

Werner AP-20-MP6 225-Pound Capacity Work Platform - Amazon.com Werner AP-20-MP6 225-Pound Capacity Work Platform - Amazon.com

shop around for price, home depot has them for $44.

I don't use air tools on an f-series, I do have multiple flex head ratchets and ratchet wrenches that will access everything necessary without getting in the way while you're laying across the front. It seems tight in the back of an f-series but you will get used to it. It's still easier than an econoline
Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When I did mine the time estimate was accurate, 12 hours and never having worked on a diesel before. My biggest problems were siezed bolts on the up pipe at the back, which I ended up just cutting. Then remembering to leave the bolts loose on the bottom of the the up pipe to help with lining up the turbo.

For a platform I used our steel saw horses with a piece of OSB on top. 3 feet or so tall and a 4x8 platform was very nice to have and the perfect height for my truck.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

3 foot platform....oh ya, that would be nice!

the wiring loom I was referring to, is the one that goes right across the intake manifild behind the oil cooler housing. With age, it seems to have sagged down into the perfect spot for it.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdezs View Post
....and I have a few thoughts, which I haven't ran across yet, which might be beneficial to someone takling this the first time.

1. If you don't have an air ratchet, there is only one substitute. Forget about using a regular ratchet of any kind on the v-clamps behind the turbo, unless you enjoy spending an hour going 1 or 2 clicks at a time. I have an air ratchet, but when working on it at 10:00 p.m., can't really be waking the neighbors. Plus teh space is so limited in my garage with teh beast all the way in, I can barely walk around it as is. I was skeptical, especially as we're talking Harbor Freight, but figured I can always return for the $29.99 price tag. I am pleasantly impressed....it did the trick, maybe even easier than my air ratchet with fighting the air hose. I like this tool so much, I wouldn't think of returning it.

2. I read about the people with sore backs, aches and pains from leaning over and working on this. I'm doing this with a torn rotator cuff, that is scheduled for surgery Feb 14th.....and this is a physically demanding job, only as far as all the reaching and bending over. A sturdy step stool about the height of an upside down 5 gallon bucket is perfect. The 5 gallon bucket doesn't work well....it will slip out under your feet when reaching behind the turbo, and I'm 6' tall.

3. Prepare some sort of cushioning to lay across the front of the engine bay. Half to protect it, half to protect you! That hood latch hurts.

4. Wiring harness....I haven't read a whole lot about what to do with it during the egr delete, usually there is no mention of it. I unbolted the FICM to move it a couple inches to the side, unplugged the 8 connectors, and used a couple bungee cords to support it a bit higher. Manifold cam out fine this way.
1. Call me old school. I have a sweet air compressor, with a sufficient supply of air tools. The first time in, all I wanted to use were hand tools...I now have a new found appreciation for what the job entails and a new respect for the truck, we are on a more intimate level..love...love.

2. Im 5'9", (stock lift on a 2wd) and used a metal chair and the front bumper where the fog light go, worked lovely. once on board, kicked my feet to my a$$ with no back issues. 14 yrs of active duty, Im also worn out.

3. I started with a small cut peice of plywood and towel, then took an old multi crashed motorcycle jacket, that was fully padded..and used it as my rest, Never felt the hood latch. And actually moved the chair aside and found that a superman jump got me into place rather efficiently after a while.

By no means am I trying to disscredit your experiance. I assure you I had to remain very humble in dealing with working on this engine..I credit most of my hardships, as a love-hate relationship and worked the best of it....If I had to do it again, which Im sure I will tear back into it, it will probably take me less time, having knowing what I know now. Sorry to hear you had such a misserable experiance with this..I was also working with out a time restraint, maknig this a more humble experiance, as I spent the better part of two weeks under the hood. and have 2 secondary choices of vehicles to use.

Best of luck next time.

Last edited by redlinedsix; 01-01-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What about these?

BPD Tech Step

OR

These.

Amazon.com: SpareHand Wheel Step - For Large/Medium Trucks and SUV: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: SpareHand Wheel Step - For Large/Medium Trucks and SUV: Sports & Outdoors
Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedsix View Post
1. Call me old school. I have a sweet air compressor, with a sufficient supply of air tools. The first time in, all I wanted to use were hand tools...I now have a new found appreciation for what the job entails and a new respect for the truck, we are on a more intimate level..love...love.

2. Im 5'9", (stock lift on a 2wd) and used a metal chair and the front bumper where the fog light go, worked lovely. once on board, kicked my feet to my a$$ with no back issues. 14 yrs of active duty, Im also worn out.

3. I started with a small cut peice of plywood and towel, then took an old multi crashed motorcycle jacket, that was fully padded..and used it as my rest, Never felt the hood latch. And actually moved the chair aside and found that a superman jump got me into place rather efficiently after a while.

By no means am I trying to disscredit your experiance. I assure you I had to remain very humble in dealing with working on this engine..I credit most of my hardships, as a love-hate relationship and worked the best of it....If I had to do it again, which Im sure I will tear back into it, it will probably take me less time, having knowing what I know now. Sorry to hear you had such a misserable experiance with this..I was also working with out a time restraint, maknig this a more humble experiance, as I spent the better part of two weeks under the hood. and have 2 secondary choices of vehicles to use.

Best of luck next time.
I'm right in the middle of this :-) Also, 2 other vehicles, so no time constraints other than getting it done before mid-February when I go in for surgery. I do my best work at night, but can't run my compressor that late.

Biggest issue right now, is that I just found the screen under the oil cooler missing a section......had to have gone to the hpop.....and wondering where I'll have to go to find it. ...
Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Banned

A thought....last April, previous owner took it to Ford. Misfiring on one cylinder. They replaced the fuel pressure regulator (Was reading 35 psi), on einjector and a dummy plug on passenger side. Was it related I wonder? Did the pieces of the screen go to the bad injector? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.