Taking a break from egr delete.... - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't fold, I lay legs sticking straight out. Not a problem except your stomach gets a little red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
I don't fold, I lay legs sticking straight out. Not a problem except your stomach gets a little red.
^^ THIS ^^ LOL I was gonna say the same thing I lay on top of the engine compartment and my knees are laying on the top of the grill with my feet hanging straight out. LOL probably looks pretty funny to someone walking or driving by but oh well, it works.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
11mm gear wrench! I can do an egr delete in 3 1/2 hrs without air. Although a 3/8 cordless impact with a variety of extensions and wobbly sockets makes life easy

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Banned

I have gone high-tech.....a thick wool blanket, folded 3 times and laid across the front above the radiator. Actually comfortable! I just need to find a pillow to make it complete, but the wife would kill me. Sure hope she doesn't discover that after I got 98% of the oil cooler cover clean, the dishwasher finished the job. Came out looking like new, and smells like lemon!

I sure wish Ford had installed a short 'doghouse' access panel as in commercial trucks. Can you imagine how easy the up pipes, turbo and ipr would have been? Mmm...I do have that sawzall sitting over there......

In total contrast to working on the engine.....I was reading through the service manual. Is the heater core really that easy to change? How can that be???? Why didn't they bury it behind the middle of the dash, requiring complete disassembly of everything?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

Just removed my HPOP.....pretty straightforward operation, but a pain in the *ss to reach way back there!

My pump appears to be the original, with the STC fitting. I can see why there's an update for that. The damn fitting feels loose, and you can move it around a lot. My pressure ws fine, I'm just replacing the HPOP as a preventative thing, seeing how the screen was torn and missing from under the oil cooler. (And I don't want to come back in here for a l-o-n-g time.)
Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Banned

Heater core removed today. That was a refreshingly easy procedure. I ended up pulling the heater core.....remember, preventative maintenance......when I removed the heater hoses, the amount of crud inside concerned me. Worse yet, was what came out of the heater core just when removing the hose. It appears my heater core acted as a huge filter when I did the flush procedure. (Imagine what a flush does to an oil cooler, if you're not changing it!)

Those Ford 'quick connect' heater hose things are....definitely a pain. Laying across the engine bay, half upside down, too small to really get a good handle on it. 20 minutes to get them off. I'll go with old fashioned hose clamps when I put teh new heater core in. Also, I disassembled the factory heater hose, that is crimped onto the metal tube that goes across the firewall. Picked up a 'U' shaped piece of pre-formed 3/4" heater hose that will connect well to the pipe. A Dremel tool made quick work of removing the factory crimped connections without damaging the tube.

A note on the flushing....I did it 'by the book', spending a full day on it with the chemical flush, followed by multiple drain and fills, back flush....thought it has to be spotless inside. Every access to the engine cooling system I have, it looks clean as new. That includes the block heater location....I pulled that to install a new one. However, it seems the heater hoses and radiator hoses do not come clean. They are all coated fairly heavily inside with a white substance. (So all hoses being replaced.) I am betting this was the first flush in 172,000 miles....it had the Ford Gold crap in it as well. Radiator had sediment in the bottom, after I pulled it and dumped out what wouldn't drain.....but otherwise is squeeky clean.

Just waiting for the HPOP to arrive Wednesday....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.