Oil Change Interval. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Change Interval.

I've heard various suggestions as to oil change intervals on the 6.0. Mine is a '06 in an F250 automatic. Though I do have a heavy 5er that I tow from time to time (not too many miles each year) most of my driving is around town to and from work unloaded. Phoenix AZ can be quite dusty so that might also change the suggestions. Just curious if there is something that is more objective as to the interval between changes.

Ken....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 07:48 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Check this out
Old 07-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Based on your driving conditions, I would consider following the 'severe' recommendations. Granted, there is only 2500 miles difference between the two, but still, since I also pull a heavy 5W occasionally, I am comfortable with the 5000 mile schedule and even though it's 14+ quarts of oil, I would rather err on the side of over-maintenance in this case.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nut
I am a firm believer in running synthetic oil and high quality bypass filtering and using oil analysis. There are no questions when you have a peice of paper in your hand that gives you ALL the info possible about your oil. More than likely you'll will find that 5k with good oil and a bypass filter is rediculous and you can see 40-50k+ between changes.
The oil analysis will tell you everything from your oil's viscosity to how much fuel and water is diluted in it, how much and what type of wear metals are present, how much silica (dirt that makes it past the air filter) and so on. You just take a sample when ever you want. I usually have customers take one about 500-1000 miles from a filter change so they have the report back before they change the filters out.

More information can be found here.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Nuckin' Futz

I would say there is nothing wrong with the good old 3000 mile change especially if you own other vehicles that are gasoline just do them all at once at 3000 miles. Also powerstroke injectors are a bit more sensitive than lets say a pre common rail Cummins'. Therefore, you need to keep your maintainence schedules more rigidly than with other diesels. It sounds like where you are from you would almost need to change it more frequently due to the fact that like 2006KR said it would qualify for severe duty. Toolin' around town and puttsing along is not necessarily good for a diesel...its what causes sulfer contamination in your oil, not so much now with the new fuel. Diesels like to run at a constant speed. so they naturally like highway miles. Highway mile intervals are higher because although the engine is reving higher its not working as hard and the rings are seated more soundly and not to mention the oil pump is pumping the oil faster through the engine so oil doesn't have to sit in one spot for so long. I agree with Diesel Nut in him saying that bypass filtering systems make the world of difference. I say stick with the good old 3000 miles. It may cost more money to do it this way but hopefully you knew what you were getting into in the world of Diesel engine maintainence
Old 07-26-2006, 09:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nut
I don't mean to change the subject, but since you mentioned gassers, with Amsoil you run 25K miles or 1 year between oil changes with a full flow oil filter. Whichever comes first.

Not meaning to start a war here. To each their own. Just wanting to throw some more info out so maybe others who don't know might learn something new.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:55 AM

I don't tow with my truck and I change the oil every 5000 miles. I use Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic and send a sample the Blackstone at each oil change. Keith
Old 07-27-2006, 04:10 AM
Jon

Oil change.

Being a Ford diesel tech I will tell you that I would not reccomend anything over 4000 miles. I'm not getting into a war why but I will tell you that. Many of the 6.0 problems are DIRECTLY related to oil changes.

P.S. I change mine at 3000.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:52 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Man, what a huge spectrum of opinions on this subject.
An oil analysis is the only way to prove what change interval you need to be using. Based on the different oils types available, the different driving habits of different truck, etc. Blackstone-lab will tell you everything about your oil and how much more or less life you should be able to get from it. Wait till the reccomended 5000 miles, change it and at the same time get a pint sample of that 5000 mile oil and send it in to Blackstone and pay 20 bucks for a full report and tell them your interested in optomizing your oil change interval. They may analize it and say it's worn out and reccomend you change it at 4000 next time. They may also tell you its still holding up and you can try 6000 miles next time. and so on. Take the guess work out and get it to a lab and find out for sure.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:02 AM

Yep, that is a bunch of suggestions and I certainly thank everybody ... I took it in yesterday for the 10k maintenance and interestingly enough they wrote on the windshield tag to do it at 13k. That was at the Ford dealership. Knowing the whole 15 quart thing and the cost of the fuel filters, etc. I purchased the maintenance program as well when I bought the truck so it's on them anyway . I'll see if they just go with the schedule or if they can change it every 3k on the maintenance program. Will be interesting to see....

By the way, this all started after talking with my favorite tech who does the work on my 72 Skylark. One of his techs is certified in the various diesels out there including the Powerstroke. He brought up the same thing about the injectors.

Ken....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.