How soon after programmer installed till the 6.0 grenades? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How soon after programmer installed till the 6.0 grenades?

I just installed the tunes from my SCT x3 and am blown away by the performance gains. I have a Lincoln LS that I had in for service today and while their had a discussion with a Diesel Mechanic. The subject turned to my 6.0 and I asked how so much can be gained by installing a programmer (No this isn't the dealer I take the truck to) and he explained why. He also said that the engine will destroy itself in time anyway, why speed up the process by installing something it can't handle. We talked about head studs and the likes and he said that they were only band aides and that the 6.0 will grenade. Not if but when. So I guess my question is this; How many miles have you seen with a programmer without problems?

He also said to not let the EGT's get over 1,100 because that little turbo will begin to melt apart. He had seen it time and time again. He said the big turbo on the 7.3 was able to handle the heat soooo much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

I'm new here, but from what I have read that tech doesn't know what he is talking about...
Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to rednek01 Send a message via Yahoo to rednek01
Sounds like the typical tech that wants to scare you to me
Old 11-02-2007, 11:14 AM

I know where you guys are coming from but he did sound awfully convincing. He doesn't seem to be one of those techs that doesn't believe in modding because he told me all about the 7.3 he hleped his brother mod. He then chuckled that it still couldn't run with a stock 6.0 let alone one with a programmer. He went on about the smaller and fewer head bolts compared to the massive ones in the 7.3 and so on..........Pretty sobering to me..........
Old 11-02-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Any engine has a limited life...its full of moving parts and will wear out...ANY engine.
Yes, putting undue strain on an engine will shorten the life but whos to say how much?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I think alot of it has to do with how you drive your truck. If you use your tuner responsibly and don't beat on your truck its a great mod, but if your into the pedal all the time dragging of course its going to shorten the life of your engine.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM

There are some guys on here with well over 100k on their trucks with a lot of programmer miles. I think that tech was just giving the standard speech. You're gonna grenade your tranny way before you grenade the engine if you run a hot tune all the time and abuse it.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:00 PM

What's your take on his 1,100 degree warning?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

The first time I have heard that on here. The 6.0's should be run hard so egr and turbos don't carbon up as easy.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:20 PM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
I doubt very much that he has seen a turbo melt from 1,100 degrees. All I can do is just sit here and scratch my head and wonder where he came up with that number ? I agree with the others, it is all in how you treat your truck, but you can't "baby" it all the time. Yes you need to take care of it, but it also needs to be "cleansed" as well. 1,100 degrees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.