Does the 6.0 have a defuel if it senses the oil's too hot?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does the 6.0 have a defuel if it senses the oil's too hot??

I am wondering this, because no one can seem to figure out my problem. I've had it at dealers and what not. No one can duplicate. I have the right power when I first start my truck up in the morning, barely touch the go pedal and it takes off, after about 5 10 minutes of driving, it becomes lathargic, and has nowhere near the amount of power it should. Someone suggested that when my headgaskets blew, it contaminated the oil cooler, and that it is plugged, and not cooling the oil properly which in turn is causing the ecu to defuel because it's sensing the oil is too hot. It makes sense with my symptoms, but I don't know if the 6.0 has this program.

Thanks,

Hoss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't know nuttin....

thats a good question, i don't know.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Here is what I could find. It looks like its a possibility it could be causing your low power condition. No other codes?

EOT (Engine Oil Temperature)
The EOT sensor is a two (2) wire thermistor type sensor.
The PCM supplies a 5 volt reference signal which the EOT sensor uses to produce an analog voltage that indicates temperature.
The PCM monitors engine oil temperature via the EOT sensor signal to control EGR, glow plugs, VGT, and fuel quantity and timing throughout the operating range of the engine.
The EOT signal allows the PCM to compensate for oil viscosity variations due to temperature changes in the operating environment, ensuring adequate power and torque are available for all operating conditions.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 PM

No, that is the other thing I was told, is that it doesn't throw any codes. Other than a low power condition it runs perfect. Thanks for the info. I wish the cooler wasn't so dange expensive, I would just have my guy put it on. But it's 700.00. I have to take it to a dealer, and hopefully they will cover it, due to it being related to my head gaskets giving out. We'll see what the temp difference is, what's the max difference between the coolant and the oil suppose to be? 20 or 25 degrees something like that.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Im not sure of the temp differntial Someone will chime in with the answer.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BogginF350 Send a message via Yahoo to BogginF350
Yes, fueling is based on engine oil temp. Have you scanned your oil temp?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

This is a direct outtake from the 2005 6.0 PCED. The temp differential should be no more than 10 degrees when the coolant temp is above 195 degrees. They have also have had problems with the EGR cooler leaking due to the oil cooler being restricted and not allowing enough coolant to the EGR cooler.

The PCM adjusts the injector output based on the oil temperature information received from the engine oil temperature (EOT) sensor and turbo boost information received from the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor and the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor. These corrections are necessary to meet emissions requirements and to optimize power. The engine coolant temperature (ECT) and the EOT sensors are used as the primary input to the PCM to enable adaptive cooling. This provides a means of providing adequate cooling in severe engine temperature conditions. When the ECT is greater than 105C (221F) or the EOT is greater than 123C (253F), the fueling rate of the engine is modified to provide cooling protection and prevent engine damage due to overheating.

Last edited by forddieseldoctor; 07-25-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.