Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Code Reader Question

739 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Evil Eye 
#1 ·
Okay. I have been all over the sight and have been learnign WODERFUL things about PSD. This site is awesome. I have a question about code readers.

It appears that most people use thier programmers to read codes from the system. Especially when there is no CEL. I need some opinions.

I am wanting to buy a diagnostic system to assist me when figurign out what might be wrong with my truck. I have looked at a couple of systems and I would like to get some of your opinions. Auto Enginuity appears to be a really good system. Is it as good as it appears? Are there betters ones out there?

My primary use is for figuring out what is wrong and pulling codes. I would like the ability to graph data and I would like to be able to use for other vehicles.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Shawn (PSD newbie 110K and loving the Excursion)

#2 ·
If your primary use is just to pull and clear codes so that you can do the work yourself then go with the cheapest solution. Several members have said that many of the low end code readers won't work on a PSD and I found that to be true. But, last week I bought Scangauge 2 ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool for $159 including shipping. It works on my 03 PSD for reading and clearing codes. It also pulls anything that is in the OBD2. For example, I keep it on my dash and watch Voltage, Map, MPG, and RPMs in realtime while I'm driving.

#3 ·
AE is supposed to be the cat's meow. I've never used it, but there's a few folks on here that have it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.