Whining noise in exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whining noise in exhaust

I've been trying to track down an annoying whine/drone coming from the rear of my truck. I thought it was the diff, but I just figured out that it's coming from the exhaust and is almost certainly originating in the turbo. I can hear it at speeds anywhere from a crawl to about 45 MPH. It's not turbo whistle. It's a much lower frequency resonating drone that happens when the turbo is spooling up and down. It's loudest when under load but still does it a little when in park.

I tried power braking, and it does it just as loud as when you're driving, so it's definitely not something in the driveline that only makes noise when you're moving.

Does anybody else's truck do this? It's getting louder, so I'm thinking the turbo bearings must be going.

Also, my fuel economy seems to be getting worse. I know it will get worse on winter grade fuel, but they've been selling that here for at lease a few weeks, and my economy seems to get worse almost every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 08:38 PM

I would be suspicious that the vanes are stuck in your turbo due to coking.Still under warranty???
Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 PM

Yep, I've got 60k left on the warranty. That makes sense because it's doing the turbo fart a lot more than it used to, and Marc mentioned sticking vanes could do that. It does it all the time when it's cold and a lot more frequently when it's warm too.

It sounds like it's time for a trip to the dealer.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:02 PM

Yep...Marc I believe ,has a lot of hands on experience....good info there !
I do a lot of 6.0 research only. I think I would "suggest" to the dealer that if the turbo
is sticking...maybe they will checkout /clean the egr also?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to R.KV*22*
I wouldn't take it to the dealership unless I really had too.. They'll want to look it over so you'll have to take all of your mods out. Unless your mates with the mechanics there and they won't care if you've got the mods..
Old 11-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If only you guys knew what some of them modifications really did to your motor and trans. I've seen some pretty sick **** happen due to modifications. Plus if ford suspects foul play they will deny your warranty coverage and they have ways to tell if there has ever been any programers or chips installed.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 PM

What's with the preaching? This problem has absolutely nothing to do with the programmer. I could hear the noise when I got the truck intermittently. It's just getting worse now. I run on econo 99% of the time anyway. The only thing that's changed on the truck is the flash, and that's easy enough to set back to stock, disconnect the batts to clear the KAM, and then drive a few days to put legit data back. I've never heard of anyone having problems with warranty as long as they don't admit to having a programmer.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

sorry i wasn't saying that your programmer had any thing to do with your problem, i was replying to the guy who said not to take your truck into a dealer cause they would force you to take out your aftermarket addons.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

i don't say nothing unless the customer turns into a jerk and tries to tell me that i don't know squat and then i never go anywhere other than to maybe the service manager, and he's got his own opinion.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
I've been trying to track down an annoying whine/drone coming from the rear of my truck. I thought it was the diff, but I just figured out that it's coming from the exhaust and is almost certainly originating in the turbo. I can hear it at speeds anywhere from a crawl to about 45 MPH. It's not turbo whistle. It's a much lower frequency resonating drone that happens when the turbo is spooling up and down. It's loudest when under load but still does it a little when in park.

I tried power braking, and it does it just as loud as when you're driving, so it's definitely not something in the driveline that only makes noise when you're moving.

Does anybody else's truck do this? It's getting louder, so I'm thinking the turbo bearings must be going.

Also, my fuel economy seems to be getting worse. I know it will get worse on winter grade fuel, but they've been selling that here for at lease a few weeks, and my economy seems to get worse almost every day.
mine is makeing the same noise at about 20psi boost consistantly.ford is replaceing the turbo on the 8th of this month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.