Need opinion on idea... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need opinion on idea...

Alright guys. I've had my new truck for about 8 months and put the Warn Transformer System and 9K winch on since week 2. Also put on some Warn Flood lights. Now, I think I'm coming to the realization that I never really use the winch, or any of that stuff upfront and it's a heavy weight for looks. The winch is Grossly undersized for the truck (Had it on my 4runner rock crawler), and I'm NOT buying a bigger winch. So the idea has crossed my mind to remove all that stuff upfront and just get a small light bar for the flood lights. I see a lot of SD's running around with just a light bar. the kind that come up from under the bumper, not sure what they are called. look like they weigh 5 lbs. I'm guessing it would reduce the weight of the front end dramatically and maybe improve mpg's? and I still keep my flood lights which are nice to have. I have a 30' Procomp 40,000 pound tow strap and shackles incase I need to pull on something. But I just can't see myself taking my new truck out into the woods like I did with my old yoter. My extent of use is going to be camping and national forest trails, pastures etc and tons of daily driving on pavement. What do you guys think....? am I having a bad idea cross my mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 PM

I guess its all personal prefernce. I would say that seeing how you dont use the winch, go with a bull bar for the lights. Then maybe fab up a hitch in the ft of the truck for the winch to slide into, then you could move it from the back to up front. or just put the girl on ebay!!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:04 PM

Deffinately not Ebay. Love the truck and I do use it.... Can't tell you how much stuff I've moved with it. From Couches to Cut down tree logs (big ones). So I guess those light bars are called "bull bars". I've even used the lights a few times, just not the winch.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:11 PM

I was talking about the winch lol not the psd!!! never get rid of that
Old 10-31-2007, 05:15 PM

OH!!!! lol. ok, you mean a hitch mount for the winch... that way it's easy on/off in the front or rear and you don't need a heavy overkill brush/mount. NICE idea man! that would be nice not "always" have that thing straped to the front of the truck as I'm stuck in rush hour... gay. I usually leave my 4x4 recovery gear at home until I head out to the woods or if someone calls me stuck. I'm really liking that hitch mount idea.... Those Bulls bars look a lot more fitting for my use. Need to up my MPG somehow. Shaving 200+ LBS off the front might be a start.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM

yeah i like the removeable winch idea too.!! and i also like the bull bars!!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 PM

Warn makes a 2" receiver kit for the front of our trucks. Just need to find a Bull bar that works WITH the hitch. 99% of the times, the winch will be sitting in the garage... until called to duty. rather than being beaten out in the elements daily for no reason (AND attracting un-needed attention).

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 10-31-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
I have to agree -- either get rid of the winch, or if you think you will use it some day and want to be prepared for it, get the receiver mount..

but I would just get rid of it and put a bull bar or prerunner type bar like Raul's on it -- deffinately cuts down on weight and since you have the tow strap, you'd still be able to get people out of the ditches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.