Cummins 12V - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 06:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to R.KV*22*
Cummins 12V

I've loved the Powerstroke's and she's treated me well but, I've been reading about the Cummins motor's. I know, I know. Nothing sounds better than The Powerstroke. But.. I'd like to try it.. Ford looks the best and thats why I wanna do it. I don't know which Cummins motor would be best... Ok the ford 7.3L is a good strong motor but the 24v cummins and duramax (bout time chevy found out that the 6.2L was wortheless) will smoke it. The 6.0L ford will show a 24V cummins whats up. Yet everyone knows (even a ford boy like me) that a 12V is pretty sick. So then when you guy's help me out with the motor to choose... 24V or 12V.. I'd then hook an Allison Tranny up to her... Then look out She'd be off the hook with all the right tuning! So Just let me know what ya think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 06:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

yep I think they call that a Fummins
Old 10-31-2007, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

A 12 valve would be easier to do because it has no electronics and those p pumps can make a ton of power. If it was mine howver i would get a common rail for it, those are pretty cool.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The Cummins are great engine...they make incredible torque. In my opinion the 12valve is the way to go. You can go mild to wild!!! Parts are incredibly cheap! The bottom end holds up to some incredible power. For little or no money you can build a wicked one:

Injectors---$450 (Pick a size pretty much)
Delivery Valves---$100 +CORE
Torque Plate---(LOSE IT, DONT NEED IT)
4,000 Gov. Spring---$125

$675 for alot of performance

I would use an HX50 or H2E also...

Just my opinion...
Old 10-31-2007, 06:52 AM

Send a message via MSN to R.KV*22*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast73Excursion View Post
The Cummins are great engine...they make incredible torque. In my opinion the 12valve is the way to go. You can go mild to wild!!! Parts are incredibly cheap! The bottom end holds up to some incredible power. For little or no money you can build a wicked one:

Injectors---$450 (Pick a size pretty much)
Delivery Valves---$100 +CORE
Torque Plate---(LOSE IT, DONT NEED IT)
4,000 Gov. Spring---$125

$675 for alot of performance

I would use an HX50 or H2E also...

Just my opinion...
But Would this keep up with a 24V or Destroy it with the same amount of work done to it? Im basically asking which one is better...
Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

With a 24 valve you need a high performance fuel system of some sort like a fass or a walbro set up, you need this to keep the vp44 alive, but if you do all of the upgrades, like injector, turbo and all that stuff a 24v should beat a 12v. But those p-pumps in the 12 valve you can adjust some stuff and it would be pretty mean. The common rail would be the hardest to convert, but it would be faster with less mods.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had a 24v 02 cummins and it kicked major a$$ after putting an edge pro comp drag module fass pump and intake and 5" stacks a detroit locker and the right guages it ran 38psi of boost, i had the manual and it would bark fourth gear when i got on it, I also put the banks intake on it as well. I would go with the 24v, wewilles is right about the fuel pump though it will not handle it and you don't want to replace the injection pump..
Old 10-31-2007, 07:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to cowboymafia
what are you doing with the truck pulling?? or racen??? id get a 12v for pullin but for racen its up in the air except for the 12v you got to change the gears in the rear end since they come with 4-10's.. but 12v youll have less problems.. and also the 24v has to many electronics and thats too much stuff to track if something goes wrong..and a 24v you have to upgrade the whole fuel system and vp44.. and the allison transmission is junk i got a buddy whos got a allison in his duramax and he had it rebuilt new trq coverter and its been rebuilt twice and its going out again and he just has crazy larry on it but unless you was going to get the upgrade kits for it... but hope i was helpd out
Old 10-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Served our Country

my The allison is overrated, the torqueshift is a great tranny.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Big Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.KV*22* View Post
I've loved the Powerstroke's and she's treated me well but, I've been reading about the Cummins motor's. I know, I know. Nothing sounds better than The Powerstroke. But.. I'd like to try it.. Ford looks the best and thats why I wanna do it. I don't know which Cummins motor would be best... Ok the ford 7.3L is a good strong motor but the 24v cummins and duramax (bout time chevy found out that the 6.2L was wortheless) will smoke it. The 6.0L ford will show a 24V cummins whats up. Yet everyone knows (even a ford boy like me) that a 12V is pretty sick. So then when you guy's help me out with the motor to choose... 24V or 12V.. I'd then hook an Allison Tranny up to her... Then look out She'd be off the hook with all the right tuning! So Just let me know what ya think
Do some checking on the tranny, I thought the preferred hook for the cummings was the 5sp Auto Ford tranny, but I could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.