2006 f350 6.0 NEED HELP QUICK!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2006 f350 6.0 NEED HELP QUICK!!!!

ok so my husband is deployed and i bought him a 2006 f350 4x4 6.0 powerstroke with a 6 inch fabtech lift and 37 inch tires to suprise him when he comes home. well he found out about it...anyways the altenator went out a few days ago, my husban(being a mechanic) said he trusts me to switch it out so i did. well now that its in and done, trucks running again btw.....my belt is squeaking and looks a little loose....should i replace it and if so how easy is it? btw this was my first "major" mechanical endevour on my own PLEASE HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
To test if its the belt, while its running , CAREFULLY, you can put a light spray of silicone on the outside of belt first, this will determine if the belt is slipping on the outer side and the idler/tension pullies. Sometimes the coating on the pullies wear and cause a squeak.

Next CAREFULLY spray lightly the rib side of the belt, this can help determine if its the inside ribs that are squeaking.

If squeaking still happens after the silicone spray test, you may have a bearing in one if the pullies going bad. The bearings are replaceable or you can buy the pulley/bearing as one unit.

Belt R&R isn't that hard, some members will pull up on the belt from the top and use the tensioner tab lock to keep the tensioner in the open position. I go from under the truck and use a 1/2" drive ratchet in the tension pulley and pull on the tension with one hand and use my other hand to lock the tab.

Some members will just unbolt the alternator with belt still tight and roll the alternator from the back to the front, then go back to the tensioner and lock the tab.

The tensioner lock tab can be hard to see on the truck, it's marked in yellow in the pic below.

BTW, nice gift for your hubby!! Got any sisters?!? LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH...i will try this later and fingers crossed it works....and sorry none available on the sister thing..lol
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

P.S.....since the alternator died have the batteries tested individually. They usually go hand in hand. If you find one bad replace them both or another alternator will be in your near future.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thank you, batteries have been checked and charged...truck starts and runs its just the belt that im worried about.. but THANK YOU AS WELL!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

u can wipe liquid soap on the belt both sides where u can reach ( just put it in your hand and smear it on the belt )

let it dry a bit and fire it up

this will isolate the fact it's a belt and not a pulley bearing ,, it will also be a permanent fix and not slippery so the belt wont slip when say you engage the AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.