Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil Cooler and Updated Standpipes? Early 03

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  F350Powerstroker 
#1 ·
I have been closely watching my ECT vs. EOT temps for a couple years now kind of holding off cooler replacement as long as possible. Had been staying right at or under 15 deg difference but now has finally exceeded and gone up to 20 deg and at times a little more. My ECT is always around 183-186 so my EOT have never shown anything terribly high. Couple questions. 1.) Is there a better oil cooler out there? I have heard bad things about the IRP reacearch stock replacement that is 35% bigger. Also I know many will probably suggest the bullet proof diesel setup I would love to just can't afford it. So is another stocker best to go with? 2.) I thought I always heard the thermostat in the 6.0 was 190 deg, I always run cooler then that even in the summer only when I am towing a really heavy load or beating on her does it exceed 190+ 3.) Anybody have any input on this update Ford Standpipe part 3C3Z-9A332-AA shown here:Ford 6.0 Stand Pipes 2003-Early 2004 F250, F350, F450, F550 International VT365 Wondering if I should do it while im in there. Currently no problems. Also 173,000 miles, EGR cooler deleted, coolant flush done over a year ago and I have had the sinister coolant filter system on there for a couple years now. I also tow quite a bit. Like I said no real problems right now just looking to replace the oil cooler before spring seeing what you guys think along with the update Ford standpipes. Any recommendations would appreciated! Thanks

#2 ·
Yes your thermostat is stuck open, you should replace that with motorcraft, and check deltas again, may not be any better, just more accurate test. Go with oem oil cooler, and i've been here a little while, and still haven't heard about people with 03-early 04 standpipe problems, just saying. Wouldnt hurt to change them though.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I know it seems like my thermostat would be stuck open however I have awesome heat. I'm talking I don't even run it all the way down on the red! Kinda strange... May put a new one in there anyways its the original and has 173k on it. Also thinking more about the oil cooler I am not set on replacing it just yet. My EOTs are only in the low 200's. Now even though my deltas are around 20 degrees, 200 even 210 oil temps are nowhere close to danger zone in fact probably closer to desired temps. I could see 20 degree delta being a problem if i still had the EGR cooler, but I dont gone a long time ago. Anybody have any thoughts on that or and techs out there have a technical explination? As of right now I can't see what the danger would be in MY SPECIFIC setup.

#5 ·
Well its not causing high ECTs so it is restricting coolant getting where? Not positive but I believe its next route after the oil cooler is the EGR cooler which would then heat the coolant more due to the exhaust heat. I could be wrong. Seeing as my EGR cooler is gone and I have low ECT wouldn't a restriction cause higher ECT?. Dhanna totally agree restricted is restricted just looking for a concrete explanation of what problems could result or damage, have not found and answers yet. Specifically answered towards a system that does not have and EGR cooler...

#7 ·
I seriously doubt that hotter oil is better for your truck or oil for that matter, the normal ect is 190°. Ford used to recommend that @ 24° delta your oil cooler is clogged, that would have been 214° oil. Now the recommendation is 15° delta, for a reason. I suspect the stress on the oil cooler is not ok, they do bust from time to time. But what does ford know, right?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#8 ·
Anybody else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.