Nasty oil cooler pics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nasty oil cooler pics

Check these out...and I would like the experts to chime in. This cooler had about 125k miles on it. Does what you see look like typical ford gold "silicate goo"? Or is this more likely from coolant mixing? More details in another post...but new cooler is clogged again after about 1500 miles.

Will a really good chemical flush get rid of all this nastyness?

http://s1239.beta.photobucket.com/us...29362749102426
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
that is pretty bad. the oil cooler looks almost orange though, was the veh run on dexcool?

If it wasn't dex then that is surely rust
Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ford gold best of our knowledge. Truck was bought used with right at 90k. Few minor things on Oasis, but nothing major at all. Waited too long to put monitor on it (Dad hard headed).

It feels like paste rubbing between your fingers. Gritty, but not that bad. Rust is a possibility.

Will the rust/scale remover part of the flush routine clean one that is that bad? Would you recommend doing that part of the procedure twice possibly?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

bump to top
Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

It is a combination of particulate from the old coolant, rust (block) and minerals (water). Old coolant gets very acidic. Eventually the coolant can not hold the ions in solution and they precipitate out. There is no way a chemical flush will fix any of that, except it might work in the block. There is probably so much goo in the whole system that you will need an EGR cooler and to look at potentially even a new rad! Unfortunately, you could probably expect more clogging of new components with out a lot of work!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the response. A lot of work doesn't scare me, just want to get it right.

The new oil cooler plugged pretty fast, and the truck did not have a chemical flush to begin with. I will also install a new radiator after flushing to be sure.

Just really trying to figure out what order I should proceed in. With changing the oil cooler again being last.

The truck now has an EGR delete and a sinister coolant filter installed.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Flush (chemicals), install coolant filter and drive, then change the oil cooler. Or even better, buy a Bulletproof Diesel oil cooler. It'd be damn near impossible to clog it, and you eliminate the risk of ever getting oil in your coolant.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pretty much what I was thinking....but wanted to be sure.

Dad has been driving with the coolant filter installed for a few thousand miles now, changed the element 3 times, and honestly it didn't have what I expected in it.

As bad as the original oil cooler looked....should I maybe "double up" on the flush procedure? Or is that a waste of time/money?

I will be doing the labor myself this time, so money there isn't an issue. Just want it right.

We will do the flush/OEM cooler one more time. If deltas are still an issue, then the BPD cooler will most likely be installed.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I suspect you will need to replace the heater core, radiator and another oil cooler, there is a used one in the for sale section that had an 8 delta, you could use that for your next "filter". Hate to see someone screwed that engine over like that.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How hard is the heater core to get too in an 05 F250? I had to change one in an 88 Mustang GT years ago and it was a PITA! But I was also 16 LOL.

So even with a good flush you think Im most likely going to clog the next cooler too? The one in the pics was the original one, and the new one clogged in 1500 or so miles. Deltas now 25* or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.