Egr Delete with Up Pipe or Block Off Plate? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Egr Delete with Up Pipe or Block Off Plate?

I am new to the Powerstroke.org and the 2006 F350 PSD I have now. I am not new to PSD though, I drove a 99 7.3 for the past 12 years with no motor problems what so ever. When I purchased this 06 PSD I really felt lost because I felt comfort level with the 7.3 of which I never had motor problem one. That being said I have edcuated myself by reading lots of forums on the 6.0 which have been really helpful.

I have learned that if my truck hasn't had a problem with the egr system it's only a matter of time and that my oil cooler is more than likely going to be clogged to a certain extent by the sand in the block.

So this is my plan so far. I have in hand now a IPR Gen 2 egr delete kit, a new turbo oil drain tube and a new STC fitting. I am going to pay a ford truck mechanic on the side to do the work on my truck to save some money but I am going to do the coolant flush before the work begins.

My main question and I have look hard to find the answer before I ask so as not to be redundant is:
1. Which is better the up pipe or using the block off plate?
2. After the work I am going to get a guage monitor, for this which one is more suggested the Edge tuner/guages or the SCT tuner ( Not sure if you can monitor the engine function with this one )

Tks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you are looking for what is best I would recommend the new up pipe. The block off plate will be easier since you don't have to remove the up pipe to install but your 06 has a scoop in the up pipe wihich will effect the flow. If you replace the up pipe you lose that scoop and allow for a much better flow through it.

As far as the gauges I would recommend the edge CTS. Unless you get the new SCT livewire the SCT programmers do not provide a monitor function. There are a couple of threads you can search for where the guys have started using the SCT livewire which provides both monitoring and programming capabilities.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

Question #2.
While the Edge is a nice piece to monitor with (make sure you includes all of the add-ons in your shopping) compared to individual gauges, avoid at all costs any Edge that has power enhancement. Been there, done that, bought a transmission.

Besides, with an 06, you're going to need an SCT to turn off the check engine light when you delete your EGR cooler. Don't be too quick to toss your EGRvalve, some ECM strategies need to see that for proper VGT cycling.

FICM tuning is coming into its own as a performance enhancement/drive-ability/economy option, as well. Whether it be an Atlas from Power Hungry Performance, a higher voltage FICM, or a flash program from Innovative Diesel, they all make improvements over the stock FICM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your question #2 is backwards. You should buy a monitor before having the work done. Sure would suck to get all that work done, just to find out later that you should of replaced the oil cooler if its clogged.

Buy a monitor first, check your ECT/EOT delta, then do your coolant flush, after your flush you should drive the truck for a couple of weeks to be sure the coolant flush didn't cause the oil cooler to clog, at this point you can determine if you need to replace the oil cooler while the motor is apart.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Use the solid up-pipe on a 05+. There is a scoop in the stock up-pipe that directs EGR flow towards the cooler. With the pipe blocked off this scoop becomes a major restriction in the right bank exhaust.

03-04 you're fine to use a block off plate, there is no scoop in the up-pipe. Infact I have a blocked 04 pipe in my truck
Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 AM

[QUOTE=Lilpooh;3383065]Your question #2 is backwards. You should buy a monitor before having the work done. Sure would suck to get all that work done, just to find out later that you should of replaced the oil cooler if its clogged.

Buy a monitor first, check your ECT/EOT delta, then do your coolant flush, after your flush you should drive the truck for a couple of weeks to be sure the coolant flush didn't cause the oil cooler to clog, at this point you can determine if you need to replace the oil cooler while the motor is apar

Lilpooh, the IPR gen 2 egr delete kit has a new OEM oil cooler in it. I did have my delta checked on the ECT/EOT and it was at 8. Thanks for the advice on doing the coolant flush and I will for sure do it a couple weeks before the work begins. I appreciate the advice.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the help. I have sent back the block off plate and received the up pipe from IPR. Today I ordered a Livewire ts from Innovative and will be here Thursday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.