Anyone having problems with hose clamps? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone having problems with hose clamps?

The past few months I've had a run of bad luck with hose clamps coming loose and causing weird coolant leaks. The first was my lower radiator hose, it was an old OEM clamp that I must have removed and tightened a hundred times during the coolant flush, so I figure I wore the threads out and replaced it with one I had laying around. Haven't had any problems with it since. I then stripped the screw on the upper radiator hose clamp that holds the hose to the radiator when I noticed it was also loose, but not yet leaking. Then today I notice a puddle under the truck. I crawl under and trace it back to the Y-pipe where the IPR Coolant filter system connects to the degas bottle. All three hose clamps on that fitting were very loose.

Is there someone that makes 'good' hose clamps that won't come loose? If not, I may just switch them all out to spring clamps. The engine isn't really vibrating any more than usual to cause this either, and the truck rides and drives down the road just fine without any rattles or vibrations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In the January 2013 edition of Diesel Power, on page 158 there is an article about stronger clamps. Their website is:

ClampTite - The Official Website | ClampTite | tools | business opportunity

..you may wanna look into that. For some of the smaller hoses, you might be able to get away with the push to connect barb style fittings used on a number of fuel systems.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadcoastie View Post
In the January 2013 edition of Diesel Power, on page 158 there is an article about stronger clamps. Their website is:

ClampTite - The Official Website | ClampTite | tools | business opportunity

..you may wanna look into that. For some of the smaller hoses, you might be able to get away with the push to connect barb style fittings used on a number of fuel systems.
I have this tool and have been using it for several years. It works but it is not a end all replacement for hose clamps. The biggest issue is it is too hard to use in tight spaces, piece of cake on a hose on the bench but good luck with the rad hose on the thermostat.

In an emergency it's worth it's weight in gold and that's what I use it for. I carry it and several feet of .040" safety wire in the truck and airplane when I travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.