Should I bulletproof & keep my 6.0??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I bulletproof & keep my 6.0???

Hi all,
I've been lurking and studying posts for months, so it's time I posted my situation for everyone's consideration.

I have a 2006 6.0 Lariat, crew cab, long bed, black, chrome...absolutely beautiful truck! Bought it used at 86,000 miles from my bro' whose father-in-law previously had it as a company vehicle. It has definitely not been abused. I just turned 133,000 on it today. I wasn't aware of the traditional 6.0 problems/issues, but have done a crash course study over the past 6 months, so consider myself pretty up to speed.

My truck has not had many problems. Before I bought it, my bro' had 1 injector replaced under warranty. From my home in upper Michigan, I have driven it to AZ, towed my 5500 lb trailer to Yellowstone twice, and towed to New Hampshire this summer.

During & after my trip to NH, I finally had to deal w/ a failed EGR & oil cooler, and also replaced the FICM. Not knowing differently, I replaced w/ stock parts, and have been contemplating my next move...upgrade & keep it, or trade it in for a 1/2 ton gasser.

I've been offered $14,000 for trade in. If I keep it, I would do a BPD oil and EGR cooler, bypass oil filter, ARP studs, 4" MBRP turboback exhaust, SCT tuning, EDGE monitors, STC fitting, clean the turbo, plugs, gaskets, etc. and overdue maintenance. These upgrades would be around $10K. I have a shop that I would be comfortable with. May also add a Transferflow 50 gal. tank.

My main concern is reliability, as I usually go on a long trip out west hunting or something every year. I feel as though I've been fortunate and have a 6.0 that has not let me down yet. Whenever I hear stories about rollers & lifters going, then I start to cringe, though.

What are your thoughts? If I could get 5-8 more years out of it, that would be great considering I put on about 20,000 miles/yr. This is my first diesel, and they are definitely addictive. Plus, after having a 1-ton truck, it's hard to imagine downsizing. While I don't tow heavy, the payload is great!

Thanks for reading my post, and offering any opinions you may have. And thanks for all the posts on this site, as they have helped me greatly!

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would keep it

Can you do any work yourself?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would trade it for $14k. I have the same year and have had no major problems, but at 144k miles big dollar repairs may be lingering around the corner. I'd get a new or slightly used truck gasser with a warranty.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No, I definitely don't have the skills to tear down this engine. Oil changes & fuel filters I can handle, though! I would rather have a competent shop have it for a week or 2 & get it done asap. Plus, my garage isn't heated and it's 25 degrees outside!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Keep her! You treat it right, it'll return the favor!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Bullet proof it

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 PM

I was in the same position earlier this year. Bulletproof it and keep it for a while. Once you've addressed the 6.0 weak links, most of the rest of the stuff is just routine maintenance that you'll have with any truck (ball joints, tires, oil changes......)
Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

4" Turboback, EGR Delete.

By Late 2005 early 2006 they fixed most of the problems but those are the main two things I recommend.
Little more money go with Head studs

6.0 relies heavy on Oil so keep it changed regularly
Use Delo 15w40 as it doesn't foam like some of the other brands

Tuners are cool and everything but arnt necessary
Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys...I appreciate the comments.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:12 PM

Depends on if you really like the truck or not. I would keep it my self. one thing you might want to also look in to is replacing the push rods to the new shorter ones. i just had a lifter come apart on my 03 6.0 @ 190k now have to replace the whole engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.