Few questions new to 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Few questions new to 6.0

So I recently purchased a 2005 F350 with 100k miles, it has some motor work done, debating if studs are done or not, it has the EGR cooler still not sure if the oil cooler has ever been done, it has banks ram air intake, banks intercooler, banks intake elbow, elite diesel stage 2 injectors, ATS aurora 3000 turbo, SCT tuner with custom tunes from elite diesel, a few other parts I cant think of off the top of my head. Anyway I was driving home after I bought it and went to pass a car and could smell antifreeze look in the mirror its just white smoke everywhere, I was very upset spendy 23,000$ on a truck and having it towed home but figured no big deal buy a new radiator, I pull it out the next day and realize the radiator is bent curved shape or whatever you wanna call it where the aluminum meets the plastic tanks on both top and bottom. I start reading here (shoulda done more of this before purchase :/ ) and figure its the EGR cooler or head gaskets. I love the truck it has crazy amounts of power when i test drove it, would roast the 37s at 25-30mph just puttin it to the floor. I was driving it like this because at the time I was told it was studded, I knew the egr valve and cooler were still there planned on deleting it anyway. So now my question is would just the EGR cooler being out of it cause the radiator to bow out of shape? I dont have the puking of degas resivor no visible/touch able coolant in oil or oil in my coolant. I am just scared of driving it now any long distance. I do get a bit of white smoke on start up for 15-20 seconds and its gone it doesnt smell like coolant and it is starting to get cold in MN now. I replaced the Radiator cap today and have only drove it 20 miles since and that was very easy miles. I realized now that I was in the market for a diesel that I should have bought a CTS/scangauge before making the purchase. the truck runs absolutely beautiful. I am waiting for pay day and then buying a CTS moniter with egt probe. Another symptom I have is when you have the cruise set at 60mph and tap the brake and start slowing down for a stop sign i get a fast surge/lope on the motor from 45-20 which if I remember right reading on here has to do with EGR. the truck hasnt been took off insanity tune since I bought it. but have also drove like a grandpa in fear of losing the radiator and being stranded again. sorry for the long post I think I got everything background related since I bought it on 12/4/12. I will be purchasing the River City Diesel EGR delete and oil cooler replacement, is that a good kit? when I get the motor tore down that far I will also check if the studs are truly done or not.

Last edited by Dan2427; 12-11-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

im sorry, you should have researched if it has studs before purchasing... You can find out RIGHT NOW!

passenger side valve cover, the first bolt/stud in the front closest to the drivers fender (bottom of the valve cover, you should either see a bolt head (OEM) or a stud with a nut (ARP)

Take a look.
Any EGR delete kit is good, they are all pretty much the same, just some without the bling. But the IPR EGR delete is the best!

White smoke at start-up could very well just be from larger injectors... a bit more fuel then needed while cold/warming up. It's common.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Id say you gotta get some kind of monitor (edge/scan guage) in their asap. Kinda suprised with all that has been done to the truck it dosnt have one. But I beleive I have read that the radiator set up in these are not uncommon for failure.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

Also, a blown EGR or even bad HG will not do anything to your radiator... don't know who told you that
Old 12-11-2012, 03:14 PM

I have a guy here in my area who repairs radiators who told me that but he also hates 6.0s, he said head gasket failure will take the compression from the cylinders and put it in the cooling system causing pressure build up in the radiator. That was his exact words. So I should be able too see if its studded without pulling anything apart? I was gonna pull the valve covers when I do my egr delete to check. Thanks a lot for the help. The truck also has 58 volt FICM too if that makes a difference!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

You dont need to take ANYTHING off to check. just look below the valve cover. On the outside of the valve cover so to speak... You will see.. GO Check already, let us know! lol

Very rarely do I hear people complaining about Radiators..

Look at the bolts "below" the VC closest to the front of the engine. There are five of them, they are al visible. when in the truck only the front two are I believe.

Last edited by Six0~Stroker; 12-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:25 PM

I will check tomorrow morning!! I am painting in my shop right now. I wish I woulda knew that before the purchase.. I do plan on getting a moniter on it as soon as I get paid.. I've put 400 for the tow 300 for the radiator 2100 for tires and almost 2k for title transfer so my bank account is hating me as of the moment so I plan on payday gettin the CTS with EGT probe. what do you think caused the radiator to bow out of shape? it also blew the lower radiator hose off lost all my coolant in about 20 seconds I put it in neutral and shut it off and coasted to a safe spot as soon as I smelt coolant
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Honestly.. I have no idea. I personally have never heard that....

Instead of the CTS IMO I would buy the SCT livewire TS and have tunes AND gauges all in one screen. Better bang for the buck IMO
Old 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
Honestly.. I have no idea. I personally have never heard that....

Instead of the CTS IMO I would buy the SCT livewire TS and have tunes AND gauges all in one screen. Better bang for the buck IMO
i agree.. and i heard of a rusty hose clamp on the transmission cooler and thats it.. never anything about radiators
Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 PM

yea i saw that deal too and i seen portcity (I think thats his screen name) got fuel pressure gauge to work with it also.. I know I love the insanity tune I am currently running, But have heard good things from quick tricks and innovative also! Seems like thats what everyone is running. Thank you for the pic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.