HID's for dummies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HID's for dummies

I have been researching HID's for a possible christmas wish list item. I attempted searching for information and didn't get a real dumbed down answer. I apologize for the repost if there is a good explanation out there.

I have seen what different temps and power people have on their trucks but am just not sure. I have never installed hid's before so I am new to everything (product, kits, install).

So far I have read that DDM tuning seems to be the place to get them and that around 6k temp is the white/blueish edge. I am aware that the chrome headlights glare more than the hd lights, so above hid's on my wish list is a set of hd lights.

So here's what I am asking...after looking on ddm's site and the numerous options, I want to know what EXACTLY to order for a full bolt on kit. 35W or 55W? Best temp for bright white and no blue? Fogs? Which bulbs are needed? Hi/lo/fog? Gimme yall's recommendations, personal experiences/preferences, anything.

Thanks in advance for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
DDM tuning

55W 5000k Hi/Low in the headlights (6000k is too blue already)

I also have 35W 3000k (yellows) in the fogs... love this setup!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Sylvania Xenon lights are $65 at OReilly's Auto Parts and are a HUGE step forward over the OEM Halogens. Best of all, they are a direct plug in. :thumbup:

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone

Last edited by Karls03; 12-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM

I got my hids from hidxenonlights.com and never had a problem with them. Pretty good prices too. As for color temps, I personally went with 6k headlights and fogs. Love the color temp and love how it matches. But if you want a pure white hid, go for 4300k to 5000k. Also for bulb types, don't quite remember which ones exactly, but you can look up all your bulbs on sylvanias website. Hope that helps
Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The correct way to do HIDs for these trucks is to use an hid projector... And since nobody makes his projector headlights that are worth anything the best way is to an hid retrofit. See the link in my signature. Go to hidplanet.com to "really" learn about HIDs as most of the general public and people on this forum are not educated on them correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did an hid projector retrofit from the retro fit source 4300k is the most lumens and whitest and love them as the stock headlights sucked on 06 f350
Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM

DDM tuning. Have read mostly good reviews and have installed them on my 2 jeep wranglers, 1 Nissan, 1 Cadillac Esclade and my excursion. Get 55w unless you are going to put them in your fog lights. 6k is what I like. I have 5k and find it too yellow. Also get hi\low beams. Worth the extra $20

All you have to do is put the bulbs in( just like a halogen bulb), run a power wire to the battery, plug your old socket into the harness, ground the wires. This should all be a plug n play kit with the harness from the hid kit.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
The correct way to do HIDs for these trucks is to use an hid projector... And since nobody makes his projector headlights that are worth anything the best way is to an hid retrofit. See the link in my signature. Go to hidplanet.com to "really" learn about HIDs as most of the general public and people on this forum are not educated on them correctly.

[/color]
Thank you for bringing a lick of common sense to this thread. The previous owner of my truck did "drop in" HIDS and I swear to god I wanted to punch him in the dick for it.

Its not only stupid, it can be illegal in some areas.

Just in case no one wants to read all three pages of this, check this link out for a technical reason why HID's in Halogen projectors is a bad idea

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Last edited by ejg3855; 12-12-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 PM

Any HIDs lights added to a vehicle that DID NOT come from the factory with HIDs lights is ILLEGAL. So just because you add projectors you are still illegal.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

This is all very interesting and leads up to what I see as an obviouse question: are those Sylvania lights that I dropped in HID or a really bright light? The box says "HID attitude, zenon fueled".

I'd rather not burn my stuff up improperly using a fricking headlight.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.