Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Very Cold Start Video Minus 26*C

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  twoicebergs 
#1 · (Edited)
It finally got cold enough to finish what I started in my previous Cold Start Video.

This video was shot this morning with an OAT of -26*C (-15F). Over the previous 24 hours the temperature was never above -23*C. The vehicle was not plugged in.

It actually started better than the last video at minus 18*C. I suspect it was due to having new fuel filters installed. The RPM surge was probably caused by the fuel finally being ignited in one of the slower firing cylinders.

If you noticed, the headlight are on, this is a DRL requirement. I was thinking of putting in a switch for cold weather operations or installing the 6w LEDs.

So the answer is, "Yes it will start in very cold conditions without being plugged in. But you have to have good batteries, synthetic oil and a problem free engine!" If yours does not start this well, you need to do some fixin!

http://youtu.be/BhrGgJ0X7bk

#3 ·
Hehehe......he's canadian, ya. Daytime running lamps...........

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#5 ·
Good video bud.......

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#7 ·
If you noticed, the headlight are on, this is a DRL requirement. I was thinking of putting in a switch for cold weather operations or installing the 6w LEDs.
My DRL will turn off if I put on my parking break on to the first click.

Phil

#8 ·
Good start. Its funny, my sweet spot is about 16*F. Anything less than that she is not happy. Very good start for that temp!

What oil are you running? Any additives? Batteries new?

#9 ·
nice start up..-20 holy **** lol thats cold

#11 · (Edited)
I changed one battery out this past summer. I thought I had a bad battery, until I realized it was a starter solenoid causing problems. The other battery is 4 years old and works fine, same for the one I pulled, it is an 09 and VG. My old smart charger was also acting up when I was having the "battery" problems. The batteries are within 1/4v of each other.

The oil is Rotella T-6 5w40 and 5 litres of 0w40 Co-op diesel synthetic. I ran out during the oil change. Doh! No additives except for the occasional 3 in 1 Diesel Fuel Conditioner.

This was a Texas truck, so the DRL would need another solenoid in the mix to kill it with the brake on. The factory install would have been way too expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.