Ditching the spark plugs.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ditching the spark plugs....

So it's finally time for me to get rid of the spark plugs and go for boosted direct fuel oil injection...

I am looking at a 2005 Lariat with 355K kms (220 miles). It's real cheap and in mediocre shape. I am not scared of that kind of mileage but I know better than to not let it concern me. The reason it's so cheap is it needs HG's. I figure with that kind of mileage maybe it's a good time to pull engine, and "freshen" it all up? Was thinking bearings, rings and anything else that makes sense....

I don't now much about the 6.0L other than the typical garage talk horror stories of "6-leakers". What are the internals like for longevity? I have found strengthened rods, but will that be necessary? I am not building a grocery getter, but it's certainly not a competition truck. It's going to pull trailers, and off road a little. I plan on programmer, torque converter, straight exhaust and eventually adding bigger turbo/intercooler/injector combo but as I stated I don't know what all is actually important? That's where you come in...

As for those that will tell me to read the stickies, I have. Nothing is as good as asking your own questions as answers are then tailored to those q's. Plan is to get the fully bulletproof package from bulletproof, and their head gasket kit. This is as soon as I pick it up. I am apprenticing as a HD tech and have been around the garage my entire life. Nothing scares me and I intend on doing most of the work myself-aside from machining. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI getting this 05 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 for $3K. Comes with a 4" lift kit in the box not installed, and many other new parts such as a new EGR cooler, turbo, batteries and ECU.

Thanks for reading and commenting!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

just make sure the heads get sent out to a good machine shop, even if they are brand new out the box. also just make sure that motor aint toast. u can get arp head studs and use oem head gaskets only, sct programmer with custom tune, bpd oil cooler, elc coolant, the list goes on and on...
Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
bullet proof first. So coolant filter, switch to CAT EC-1 coolant or an equivalent without Silicates and phosphates, BPD oil cooler, a monitor for sure, some custom tunes (i like SCT tuners), EGR Delete, and ARP head studs and you should be bullet proofed, check the dummy plugs, stand pipes, and other HPOP items
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 AM
Premium Member

You're much better off piecing the parts for a rebuild together yourself than buying a head gasket kit as those usually come with black
onyx head gaskets which are junk.

From my personal experience I found it was cheaper to order everything separately from a parts sure like trousley, autofair, or sunrise than it was to buy a kit and you know exactly what you're getting. OEM quality and you can be sure you get all the updated parts.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Last edited by Korx; 12-10-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just curious but if the oem parts failed, are they still the best? I get discounts at the local stealership should I just go oem plus ARP studs?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli.krahulec View Post
Just curious but if the oem parts failed, are they still the best? I get discounts at the local stealership should I just go oem plus ARP studs?
You definitely want to get OEM. But first see if your discount is better than the one you can get online. Many of the OEM parts have since been updated due to failures.

Use ARPs without a doubt if you're going in that far into the engine and don't want to do it again..... I mean unless you like doing headgaskets...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.