Parking brake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Parking brake

I have forgot to ask this question a few times I need a common part that breaks or fails on the parking brake and a part number please. I was using it one day and it snap it will go all the way down now and won't stay up and I had to tie it so my alarm won't beep does anybody know what part broke I can't seem to find what failed but it won't work any help would be appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 PM

You checked down the frame rail and the cable isn't snapped any where or stretched? Follow it from the pedal down the passenger frame rail all te way to the rear over the axle and make sure everything is in place I would start with that. Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Ok thank you I appreciate you writing back I don't see anything hanging loose but I will double check
Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 PM

Yeah I would also look at where the cable is on the pedal it should almost loop over the e brake assembly maybe it popped off the track I'm not home right now to look at mine or I could offer some more help. I haven't crawled under my truck in a while.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 PM

How does the assembly work? Is there like a gear that holds the cable or tightens it or what? Cause it seems like it is a slip gear and now wants to stay down like the thing broke and I don't know if I need the whole assembly or I will check the cables again I just didn't know how it works
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM

Yeah I can comment on exactly how it works I would assume there is some sort of gear mechanism that locks it. I just figured I'd point you in the right direction to start with te cables I'm still at work so I really can't comment on the assembly itself trucks parked at home.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 AM

I'm late to this posting, but the pedal requires a pre-load of tension from the cable on it's spring for it to return. So if you happen to brake either the front or intermediary cable, it will "feel broken" I reset mine by pulling hard on the front cable by hand then holding it in place with a vice grip behind the first metal block it goes through. I think a lot of people replace the mechanism when they don't have to.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:11 AM

Ok thanks I will check it out I got it zip tie right now cause it will alarm but what happen I pressed it hard to hold the truck and it just pop and has no hold

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-27-2013, 05:59 AM

Also check the rear dust covers to see if they have collapsed. There is a pin that holds the e-brake pads in place that is attached to the back of the dust cover. If it rust through, your pads will fold up against the hub.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:07 PM

Ok I will check thanks I am going to see what I can find when I am changing my fluids and see if I can find something thanks for all the help I appreciate it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.