New FICM, now MPG really bad - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy New FICM, now MPG really bad

Bought this 350 Super Duty on Halloween.

My other truck, trailer, and all business equipment was stolen on Sept 12th. Had no choice but to buy out another like business in order to keep from losing my customer base and save the homestead.

Eventually found the 350 and bought it got a really good deal and was pleased with the purchase. Truck was getting 16-17 MPG for the first 4 fills I ran through it. Then the FICM went out, Dealer was good enough to cover cost of new FICM and labor, no complaints there.

Since new FICM has been installed haven't gotten better then 11.2 MPG in last 5 fills!
Talked with the local Diesel Performance shop Monday and they said they could re-tune so I would be getting 18 MPG with better performance than I am currently getting. Sounded good to me.
Well today I stopped by to see if they could do the tune and what it would cost.Suddenly they can't get it done anymore but could sell me a pre-programmed tuner for $425.

I've just gone $80,000.00 in debt because of the low lifes which stole my rig, still have to do the recommended mods to this 6.0 to make it worry free (as much as possible), and Insurance was of NO help in the theft.
Is it possible to get a good mileage tune without feeling like someone is trying to rip me off again?

I just want to get the kind of savings on fuel I was expecting when I bought this truck, figured I'd be saving about $106 every 1000 miles over what the gas burners were costing me. Is this to much to ask? Hell, I would just like to be able to start paying down my debt.

I really want to do the mods before having to go to the expense of a tuner/monitor. Just can't see the sense in seeing what's going on but not being able to do anything about it. If the mods are done first at least I'd feel like the monitoring was helping me and not just making me nervous wondering what 's going to go bad first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dealer probably updated your strategy. You can get a rollback from php. My best advice is to not run a tune without studs, (there will be plenty of people that will tell you there are non studded tunes) get a monitor on your truck, run a good quality oil with motorcraft or racor filters with matching caps, and install a coolant filter asap.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was told today by my dealer their lastest and greatest flashes murder mileage. They told me I'd be better off with the older flashes.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM

I would talk to Ed @ FICM repair I belive they will loan you a FICM if you need your truck while he repair or tune your FICM. Mine was getting around 14 to 15 miles per gallon sent it to Ed for a Altas 40 tune and it gets 20 or so I know more people get more than that they may chime in I have a edge CTS moniter and it is great but that is my opinion
Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Monitoring.....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Emergency Services

so adding those Altas tunes will add power and increase MPG?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM

I didn't notice any increased mileage with the Atlas 40 on mine,but there was no mileage drop and the driveability of the tune is worth it's weight in gold. Makes it feel like a gas engine around town.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM

thats the theory
Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM

I notice a difference and it suppose to add 40 hp and better mpg
Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have had excellent results in power and MPG with my Atlas 40. On a CCLB truck with 38 gallon tank I can daily drive 320+miles hitting the 1/2 tank mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.